Airport Extreme best practice configuration for Sleep Proxy, DHCP / NAT & PPPOE

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by DSIreland, Oct 5, 2012.

1. DSIreland macrumors newbie

Hi

I have recently bought an Airport Extreme and it is working well. One of the reasons I bought is to take advantage of the Bonjour Sleep Proxy on it so I can wake my MAC up remotely from my iPad using the REMOTE app to stream things like iTunes etc... I followed the set up instructions and basically let it configure itself. I have an ISP router / modem which currently is providing DHCP services, NAT and PPPOE.

The Airport detected all of this and set itself up as bridge only. The speed of the network out to the internet is fine (more or less what it was before). However, in doing a bit of research, I have found out that if I want the Airport to act as a sleep proxy, I need it to "host" the network. I am not an expert in networking but from what I understand I need the Airport to be moved from "Bridge Only" to at least be providing DHCP to my internal network clients.

This has prompted me to ask what is "Best practice" when it comes to configuring the Airport given I want to have Sleep Proxy enabled. I think the two options I have are as follows but would really welcome feedback on which is the best option to go for or if there are other options I should be thinking of

(1) Have the Airport perform DHCP for my internal clients and leave the ISP router/modem doing NAT
    (2) Have the Airport perform DHCP and NAT. I think to do this I need to turn the ISP router / modem into Bridge mode only. (I've looked and I seem to have this option on the device. It's an Irish ISP branded device but I think it is a Zyxel)

I have no reason to believe the ISP router / model is doing a bad job but given I understand the Airport Extreme is a reasonably high-end device (I think?) I am wondering if option 2 is the way to go.

In addition, during my research, I have also discovered that many people seem to have their Airport Extreme also handle PPPOE. This is currently being done by my ISP router/modem. I am inclined to leave it this way (following the mantra if it isn't broken, don't fix it) but if there was a good reason to have the Aiport do this, perhaps I should make the switch? Having said this, I have seen on this forum and others, some posts about problems with Internet connection drops when the Airport is handling PPPOE.

So, a bit of a long post, but if anyone has any information or perspective on this, I'd very much appreciate it.

Thanks
    Dave

2. marc.garcia macrumors regular

Dave,

I was running my AE as a simple hotspot (not acting as a router) and I felt that something was not working. I decided to change my network configuration and not it acts as a router. Unfortunately, my ISP does not agree with reconfiguring my current modem/router so it only acts as a modem. So, I'm stuck with a double NAT now and I also can't say that everything works now because I can't see my mini from outside the network.

May I ask what have you done?

thanks