Airport Extreme: blinking amber light but works perfectly

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by bigpoppamac31, May 23, 2018.

1. bigpoppamac31 macrumors 68020

Okay so I have the newest Airport Extreme and it's been doing great for me. But I'm getting a blinking amber light and I'm not sure why. The connection is fine and there doesn't seem to be any software updates in the Mac App Store needing to be downloaded so I don't know why I'm getting the blinking amber light. If I unplug the AE and plug it back in after a few seconds it goes to a solid green light. But the blinking amber light comes back after a few days or so. What should I do?

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator emeritus

SandboxGeneral

3. bigpoppamac31 thread starter macrumors 68020

There is a red "1" beside the AE name. So it needs an update? Why would this not appear in the updates section of the Mac App Store like all other Apple updates for Mac?

4. acorntoy macrumors 65816

Because it’s an Airport update, not a update that does anything to the Mac.

5. SandboxGeneral Moderator emeritus

SandboxGeneral

Apple does them separately because they’re separate pieces of hardware.

6. bigpoppamac31 thread starter macrumors 68020

Guess that makes sense but that can mean that the update is not seen. I didn't even think to look in Airport Utility. But thanks for the info. :)

7. acorntoy macrumors 65816

Yeah it’s kind of annoying, it’d probably be worse though if you were just trying to update an app and the WiFi shuts off for seemingly no reason!

You can also install the airport utility app on an I-device too, and do updates through there.