AirPort Extreme - blinking amber / not responsive

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by superspud, Jun 22, 2015.

1. superspud macrumors regular

Got home today and noticed my wifi was down. Checked my AirPort Extreme and noticed it was flashing amber.

Plugged my Ethernet cable directly into my computer from my router and it works fine, but when I try running an Ethernet cable from my AirPort Extreme, nothing.

I open airport utility and it can not find anything. I've gone as far as to try to do a hard reset, but it just continues blinking amber. Have unplugged and replugged the power numerous times to no avail.

What do i need to do here? It's worked flawless up until this point.

2. superspud thread starter macrumors regular

update - I tried plugging in my old wifi router and am having pretty much the same issues. This one, however still shows full strength when I "connect" to my router via wifi but there is no internet connection made.

when I plug my ethernet cable into the back of that router its the same issue - no connection.

I am posting this on my computer that is hooked up directly to my modem. when I connect that way, everything is fine.

What would cause this? How do I have normal internet when connected via ethernet to my modem, but neither of my routers will work?

3. superspud thread starter macrumors regular

update again:

apparently my internet provider recently upgraded their internet speeds and I am required to update to a docsis 3.0 modem - I currently have only a 2.0

Im guessing this could be an issue when trying to connect to a wifi router. I have read on some other message boards where comcast did this (not my internet provider) and in order to connect to a wifi router they had to upgrade to docsis 3.0

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

@superspud Whenever a client is removed from a simple modem, it must be power cycled to update the IP address allocation and other DHCP details.