AirPort Extreme Bridge Mode

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by stressed, Aug 15, 2010.

1. stressed macrumors newbie

I apologize for posting this question in this forum but I couldn't find an area for the AirPort Extreme.

So, I've just purchased a brand new AirPort Extreme. I'm beginning to configure the device and have a question concerning Bridge Mode. I have connected the AirPort Extreme to a router that has been arranged to set static IPs to the internal LAN. Each device I have connected to this router has a static IP.

I'm connecting the AirPort Extreme to this router, via RJ45 of course, so that I may have WiFi access. I've read a little about Bridge Mode using the AirPort Extreme but the information never went into how to configure it. I've noticed in the Airport Utility, version 5.5.1, in the Internet section there are two tabs. The Internet Connection tab allows the user to set the Connect Using and the Connection Sharing. I've set the Connect Using to Ethernet and the Connection Sharing to Off (Bridge Mode). With these settings, there is another tab, the TCP/IP tab. There are several entries to populate in this tab:
    Configure IPv4:
    IP Address:
    Subnet Mask:
    Router Address:
    DNS Server(s):
    I've set the Configure IPv4 to Manually. I have the rest of the information, but my question really is, Do I need to input the rest of the IP information in the TCP/IP tab?

Any suggestions would be helpful and I thank you in advance.

2. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

To tell the truth, I didn't think that the airport extreme could be used a a bridge.

3. skorpien macrumors 68020

Actually, it can be used as a bridge. I have my TC set up as a bridge with my AEBS using an Ethernet cable.

The only fields that need to be populated are the IP Address, Subnet Mask and Router Address. Subnet Mask and router address can be found in your router setup.

Edit: To the best of my knowledge, yes you do need the rest of these fields.

Edit 2: You can leave the DNS server blank (I think), but as I have my TC set up to obtain its IP address via DHCP, it automatically fills the first DNS field as the router's IP address (light grey, when I switch to Manual it disappears).