Airport extreme broke, airport express or something else?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Ja Di ksw, Jun 11, 2011.

1. Ja Di ksw macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

Hi guys, my airport extreme finally broke, was thinking of getting an airport express, or is it too expensive and not worth the money? My old extreme (got it b/c express didn't exist yet) stopped working with the router, which still works fine. The tech guys for my internet said they couldn't get the a.e. to assign an IP addy or something. I tried resetting it over and over, reconfiguring it and everything, but it just won't work :(. Suggestions? Thanks a ton!

2. prss14 macrumors regular

prss14

If you are really just wanting very basic wifi the Express is great. Got one in the Refurb, ($69.00) store for my mother-in-law. No problems; plus it is nice to play music through it. But it does only have one radio unlike the Extreme. Something to consider if you are wanting the faster N speeds but have G devices. My mother has a newer Extreme no problems.

3. axboi87 macrumors regular

axboi87

Linksys E4200

If you want performance I would either wait for them to update the extremes imminently soon or get a Cisco Linksys E4200. In tests the E4200 is multiple times faster and has about 5x the range. I got one a while back and compared to my extreme (which was latest gen simult band II) large transfers to my nas from upstairs to the router downstairs are like 10x faster than they were on the extreme. No crashes and the unit itself is quite nice to look at.