Airport Extreme BS v Time Capsule....help?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Hello.there, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Hello.there macrumors 6502a

Hello.there

Had been thinking about putting in order for the Airport Extreme Base Station in the hope that I'd get a better wireless range in my house (I have no phone connection upstairs where my iMac is). But - and this is yet more evidence of how clueless I am - now wondering should I be getting the Time Capsule instead? I've been reading the specs and all but I'm still not really sure if it's basically a backup device that also does the job of the AEBS? Is that what it is? Or am I talking manure? Would appreciate your help.

2. peeaanuut macrumors 65816

it basically is an AEBS and a NAS. it would be the same thing as plugging in a USB drive to an AEBS but it is built in and, hopefully, works better.

3. Jeremy Gray macrumors regular

Yes, but with Time Capsule, you could plug in another NAS and have two. And this may seem stupid, but Time Capsule cannot be partitioned to be half-storage and half-backup, or any other combination of the two, according to Apple.

4. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

I would wait until some reliable user reviews surface in February. You may not be able to partition the internal disk in Time Capsule, but you should be able to use that drive for both Time Machine and as an external hard disk through the network type of use at the same time. I think some of the terminology used in descriptions are confusing people into making incorrect conclusions.

5. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Given Apple's tracker record on base stations, I would wait and see what they look like in real life before putting your money on the table. When it comes to Apple and wireless promises, the proof of the pudding is in the tasting.

6. bilbo--baggins macrumors 6502a

I second that. Wait and see if it actually lives up to the hype before ordering. You might be lucky - they may have replaced the team working on Airport with some people who know what they're doing...

7. Hello.there thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hello.there

Thanks for the replies every one, much appreciated. It makes perfect sense to wait and see how Time Capsule works out....but being the impatient soul that I am I'm desperate to try and boost the range of my wireless set-up at home so I'm still tempted to take the Airport Extreme Base Station plunge. Having said that I'm not even sure if it will do the job I'm hoping it will, I've seen mixed reviews - and maybe I just need to switch to a superior wireless broadband provider?? I'm not in any great need of Time Capsule's back-up facility, I use Time Machine with my iMac (and it works great), I don't really need to back up stuff on my MacBook. Oh heck, decisions, decisions............!