Airport Extreme BS with cable modem??

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by carrollf, Apr 5, 2008.

1. carrollf macrumors regular

carrollf

Will the airport extreme base station work with all cable modems? If I have a cable modem/wireless router combo provided by my broadband supplier but want to use the airport extreme base station instead, can I connect the two?

2. paduck macrumors 6502

"ALL" is such a dangerous word....

Is the cable modem and wireless router in the same box? If it is, then you will have some configuration challenges, but you should get it to work. There might be a performance hit going through two routers though.

If you have a separate modem and router, then you can just drop the cable company-supplied router and use your Airport Extreme Base Station plugged straight into the cable modem. That should make things more efficient and less complicated. Then you have an extra router...

Are you buying or renting the modem/router? I think you might find it cheaper if you owned them.

3. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

They stated it's a modem with built in wireless abilities. They should just disable the wireless option of the modem, and then connect the modem and the airport extreme. Then it will be just like a cable modem hooked into an airport extreme.