Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thinkinblue613

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 13, 2010
Planet Earth
Hey guys,

I purchased an Airport Extreme tonight and I got a bad case of buyers remorse.

Basically, I live in an apartment and feel like it is unnecessary. I won't use the other Ethernet ports as everything I have is wireless.

I bought this for the hard drive capability, more options in regards to setting up connections and the simultaneous dual band range (2.4 and 5 ghz). These perks are nice to have.

What really got me to choose the Airport Extreme over the Express was that my unit happens to be in front of the street next to the garage door. I heard that the radio signals from the garage door could interfere and cause some disruption to my internet connection. How severe or how much difference does that really make?

Should I keep it or swap it back tomorrow at the store for an Express or for a different router? Thanks!

alust2013

macrumors 601
Feb 6, 2010
On the fence
I'd just keep it. The extreme really is a great router. If you need a hard drive with it, that's a good reason to keep it. The express might be a bit cheaper, but you'll likely make use of the extra features of the extreme at some point.

ezramoore

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2006
Washington State
I doubt you will see any interference, garage door openers operate in the 300-400 mhz range, not 2.4 or 5.8 ghz like your 802.11 device.

I would go back and trade it in if you really don't need the wired functionality.

Keep in mind, however, if you attach a disk to the Express and want to store large files you will wish you had a gigabit connection (even temporarily) to transfer those files from your computer to your NAS.

frozencarbonite

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2006
I love the Extreme. Has never failed me. It's so easy to use and now with the new Airport app for the iPhone, it's even easier to manage.

I would keep it, unless you need money. Also, it will be good for many years, so if you move and upgrade your home network, you have the extra ethernet ports and range of the Extreme.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.