Airport Extreme buzzing

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ActionableMango, Oct 18, 2010.

1. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

My Airport Extreme emits a loud buzzing noise, but only when actually transmitting over wireless. For example, when using wired computers, there is no noticeable sound. When using a wireless computer with say Netflix streaming, there is a BUZZ BUZZ BUZZ BUZZ BUZZ BUZZ. When downloading a large file such as security and OS updates, I get BUUUUUUUUZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ... during the entire download. The buzz is loud and noticeable even across the room. Guests immediately say, "what's that noise?"

1) Anyone else have this problem?
    2) Any ideas to fix it or get around it?

It is a dual band model, a little over 1 year old. I only recently starting using the wireless part of it, so I don't know if this would have been a problem from day 1 or not.

2. psxguru macrumors 6502a

3. baddj macrumors 6502

4. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

5. drambuie macrumors 6502a

It sounds like the power supply is being loaded down when the WiFi transmits data. The video streaming is in chunks producing short repeating buzzes, but files are in a continuous stream, with a continuous buzz.

6. Paulywauly macrumors 6502a

Paulywauly

Yeah mine does it too, only when passing data over wifi though and only after its been doing it for a while. It could possibly be a problem with the capacitors getting too hot inside or something? As mine gets louder and warmer and eventually the wireless starts cutting out if you keep it up for a while e.g. if streaming 1080p movie to a ps3. To test it i took a bag of frozen vegetables out of the freezer and put it on top and it did help alot, but its obviosuly not a long term solution :rolleyes:

If you have any warranty on it might be worth calling Apple. Ill do it over the next few days and report back with what they say

7. ActionableMango thread starter macrumors 604

ActionableMango

Warranty is long gone for me. I do seem able to stream for long periods of time without interruption, but then again it is winter. :)

8. ActionableMango thread starter macrumors 604

ActionableMango

Any word on that?

9. Paulywauly macrumors 6502a

Paulywauly

yeah, sorry for the late response on this one. I just called Apple and they said it does sound like a hardware issue which should be covered by warranty, downside being i need to take it to an Apple store, nearest one is 25 miles away and i dont drive :rolleyes:

In short, at least Apple says it sounds like it needs repair so you can get it sorted out!

10. pcfarrar macrumors member

I just got an Airport Extreme and it emits a very loud buzz from the centre of the unit during wireless activity. It is particularly bad if you are doing something bandwidth intensive like streaming a video. Do all Airport Extremes do this or is my particular unit likely to be faulty?

11. Redfanix macrumors member

Same here.. i purchase AEBS today and have the "buzzing"... it comes not only from the centre of AEBS, but from external power adapter too... same buzzing noise - same frequency..

so my question is the same... Have all the AirPorts the buzzing noise??

12. mstrze macrumors 68000

Mine does not buzz. I have had it for 3.5 years.

13. macswitcha2 macrumors 65816