Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KittenKrusher

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 24, 2005
I have an Airport Extreme Base Station and I am thinking about getting a Canon iP6600D Printer. I have a powerbook so I want to connect the printer to the base station and be able to print wirelessly. But from what I have read you can not use the printer utilities when it is connected to the base station. What does this exactly mean? Does it mean I can only do basic print jobs like text and from the web. I would like to be able to print photos and take full advantage of the printers capabilities, especially when I am not in the same room with my printer. For example, could I do the borderless 4x6 prints via the airport and such. And could I choose if I want to do a Fast low quality print jobor a best looking photo job all from the Airport? Is there a better brand I should get other than canon for the airport?

Thanks a Bunch

condor

macrumors member
Feb 17, 2004
I use an AirPort Express hooked up to an HP all-in-one printer and I have full access to all the printing features wirelessly (4x6, borderless, etc). What I can't do is scan or copy unless I plug in the usb cable. It looks like the printer you are looking at is a much more high-end photo printer so I'm not sure how it would work for you.

alywa

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2004
I havent used AE with any canon products, but my epson and hp printers print OK with it. However, the advanced functions (check ink levels, scan, etc) require that the printer be plugged in.

Either way, you'll probably end up being pretty happy. I'm confident that the photo print capabilities will likely work... just be prepared to plug your powerbook directly via USB to check ink, etc.

Just out of curiosity, do you feel you get good prints at home? I've basically given up, and use Shutterfly or Snapfish... cheaper, better quality, more options, etc.

KittenKrusher

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 24, 2005
I don't have the Canon yet but I will soon. From what I have seen in the store, the prints are pretty good, least the best I have seen from an InkJet. I don't print a lot of photos, just take a lot with my digital camera. But when I do print one, it should come out looking great.

hcuar

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2004
Dallas
I have the Canon iP4200. It's the best printer i've ever owned. Seriously. It was only 100 bucks after rebate. I've had 700 dollar printers which were junk in comparison.

Lincoln

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2003
UK
Canon IP5200R?

You might be better off getting a Printer with built-in WiFi as that should come with drivers that expect the printer to have no USB connection.

Canon make a 5200R (wireless 5200 printer for only a few quid more) that does this and it supports the Mac too.

I have its non-wireless predecessor the IP5000 and I cannot praise this printer enough.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.