Airport Extreme Card a1206 not connecting to airport express

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by honeycombz, Dec 21, 2014.

1. honeycombz macrumors 6502

honeycombz

Hey, having a difficult time getting a g4 mdd 1.42 firewire 800 with an airport extreme a1206 to connect to my newer airport express wall outlet thing via wifi. Is the g4 network card just too old to make this work?

2. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

Help us out here. We know which AirPort card is in the Mac, but exactly what kind of AirPort Express do you have? What kind of encryption methods have you tried? Is it just not getting a strong enough signal, or is it timing out when you connect? OS version on the PowerMac can't hurt either.

3. rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

i know the g3 is incapable of connecting to modern wpa networks. it was WEP only. i forget about the g4, i know my quicksilver g4 was compatible

when in doubt use the preshared key, if that doest work, the its not compatible

go to https://www.wireshark.org/tools/wpa-psk.html
    enter your SSID
    enter your passphrase

it will spit out a 64 character long 504 bit preshared key.
    paste that instead of the password you use to connect to the wifi network
    and see if that works.

the web code runs in your browser. it does not get transmitted to that website, so it is safe to use.

4. honeycombz thread starter macrumors 6502

honeycombz

Its the airport express 802.11g. Its asking for a wpa password and the pass i use on my ipad, and current macs isnt working. The ppc is running whatever the latest os it can run is. I am hoping to be able to figure this out without messing with the airport express cuz everything else in the house is working well and dont want to disrupt everything for this old ppc but it would be nice to get it on wifi.

5. Intell, Dec 23, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2014

Intell macrumors P6

Intell

G3's can connect to WPA wireless networks when running to appropriate version of OS X and with an Airport B card.

6. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

The original AirPort card required OS X 10.3.x and AirPort Software Update 3.3 to connect to WPA networks. On top of that, most of these AirPort cards will only connect to TKIP enabled networks and not AES.

7. honeycombz thread starter macrumors 6502

honeycombz

8. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

No. What software is on the Mac?

9. honeycombz thread starter macrumors 6502

honeycombz

whatever the last OS to run on PPC was is what it's running

10. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

So Tiger or Leopard. It should have the necessary software to connect. You could plug the G4 into the Ethernet port on the Express as well.

11. weckart macrumors 68040

If resetting network connections in System Prefs or deleting network preferences in your Library does not work, try reinstalling the last OSX Combo Update. That worked on a troublesome Powerbook recently for me. Sometimes a corrupt file somewhere can cause network issues.

12. honeycombz thread starter macrumors 6502

honeycombz

Yea, somehow i think this is more involved than resetting the prefs but i will try

13. honeycombz thread starter macrumors 6502

honeycombz

Didnt work. Is there a terminal command i can run to provide some specs here to help troubleshoot this more?