Airport Extreme Card from 17" Powerbook to G5 Power Mac problems

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by mackiwiuk, Aug 16, 2010.

1. mackiwiuk macrumors newbie

Hi. I've managed to get my hands on an old 2GHz Dual G5 Power Mac that they were giving away at work. At the same time, they were giving away a (broken - read: dead, doesn't turn on and plenty of people have tried to fix it) 17" G4 Powerbook. I took this home as well to see if there was any parts i could strip from it.
    It dawned on me pretty quickly that I may be able to strip the Airport Extreme Card from the Powerbook and place this in the Power Mac. So that's what I did. However when i boot the Power Mac up and go into System Profiler and click on Airport Card, it says No Information Found.
    Is there anything I'm missing or should the Power Mac find this on its own? I've read somewhere about the Airport Extreme Card coming with a software disc. Do I need to install this software? The Power Mac is running Leopard.
    Alternatively, is there a chance that the Airport is knackered from being in the Powerbook OR is it just that the Airport Card for the Powerbook is not compatible with the ones you can put in the Power Macs?
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68