Airport Extreme Card installation

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by micheleb, Feb 1, 2008.

1. micheleb macrumors newbie

How do I install this card on my macpro? REally I have no idea where put the card into my new macpro... please help!!!

Opened the macpro and then... where do I put the card? :confused::confused::confused:

Thank you guys for your help

2. micheleb thread starter macrumors newbie

3. kps macrumors regular

Have never looked myself, but supposedly it's below drive 1, behind the fan housing.

4. ErikAndre macrumors 6502a

ErikAndre

5. fridgeymonster3 macrumors 6502

fridgeymonster3

That's robbery...i bought my stock 2.8 octo at the Apple store and they installed my airport card right there for free...why do they charge $30 later...that is ridiculous:mad:

6. micheleb thread starter macrumors newbie

7. Loge macrumors 68020

Loge

Anyone know if this is still the case for the new MPs? This is something that really should be user installable.

8. Dark Dragoon macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

Where did you get the card from?
    If it was off a website can you post a link?

Although it's difficult to tell from the photos I've seen, the Airport card in the new Mac Pro's looks the same as the one in the old Mac Pro's so it should be the same to install.

9. HoppyToad macrumors newbie

What do you mean they won't let you install it yourself? Did somebody tell you it would void the warranty?

10. HoppyToad macrumors newbie

I will probably buy one from the Apple Store (on-line) for $45 if I order the computer elsewhere. When the AirPort card in my iMac G4 crapped out last year and my AppleCare had expired, Apple agreed to replace the card for free but they said if I didn't return the bad card they would charge me $750!!!

11. micheleb thread starter macrumors newbie

I got it form an Apple reseller in my town.
    Please see the attached picture of the card.

Attached Files:

12. spork183 macrumors 6502a

spork183

The macPro has a card with two antenna posts. Your card looks like the standard card prior to that one. I'm fairly certain it will not work, but I don't have a MacPro, so I could be wrong. Luck...

13. Infrared macrumors 68000

Infrared

Yes, it looks suspiciously like a PowerMac card:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=368911

14. HoppyToad macrumors newbie

I now realize that the "Mac Pro" I chatted with yesterday on-line didn't know what he was talking about. He assured me that the AirPort Extreme cards sold at the on-line Apple store are compatible with the new Mac Pros, despite what it says at the Apple Store web site. I also asked about the restart on wake from sleep issue, and he said he had never heard of it. Thank goodness there are some real pros on this forum who can give me the straight poop. I hope I didn't lead anyone astray with my previous comments on this thread.

15. waremaster macrumors 6502

That is the wrong card for the Mac Pro's

16. termina3 macrumors 65816

Installing the card yourself will not void the warranty; if you screw up, though, they may not be too sympathetic. To order the card w/o an installation service, you must be Apple Certified to work on the Mac Pro.

The Airport Express card available separately on the Apple online store is the wrong card; it works with all current Apple models but the Mac Pro (and the MBA I suppose, not that it matters there).

Right in saying he has the wrong card; that card is the one used in the iMac, et. al. I don't know if it's the same one as used in the PowerMac, but it is the one used in all the other Mac models out right now.

Ya, very few know what they're talking about. Apple, of course, doesn't do a whole lot to correct them or make it blatantly clear which models work with which. I made the same mistake you made, but luckily had an iMac in which I could stick the card...