Airport Extreme Card & Mac Pro (2007)

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by SCSnare, Mar 14, 2008.

1. SCSnare macrumors member

Ok, I got a new Mac Pro in December of 2007 that came without an Airport card installed. I'm now looking into getting one to install myself, however I'm a bit confused as to what card to buy. The one available on the Apple website says it is incompatible with Mac Pro's introduced in 2005. So I'm assuming that will not work. I've looked online and have found some like this with model number MB363Z/A.

I THINK this is what I want, however when I enter that model number into google and search a bit I find that some websites have it listed as Airport Extreme Wireless Card for Mac Pro (2008). Now, what I'm wondering is if this will work for my Mac Pro that I got in December of 2007, or not. And if not, can anyone give me some advice or point me to the right one I need to buy? Thanks for your help.

2. hc10m macrumors newbie

I got your model to work in my new 2008 Mac Pro

I got the new 8-core 2.88 mac pro in Jan 17 and asked the store to install the air port extreme card for me. I looked at the invoice and it said MA688ZA/B. The machine booted and I checked the air port extreme utility to be a/b/g/n and it worked fine. Last week I looked into one post in the forum, I forgot which one, the guy said he got your model MB363Z/A installed in his new Mac Pro 2008 and the model that I used should belong to your Dec 2007 model. I think because the store I bought did not know that Apple changed the model number and perhaps tweak something inside, I suspect the pre-N and N specifications speed enhancement, I did not bother to check the speed througput since I mostly connected my adsl router to my mac by lan cables, and use wireless only occasionally. I dont know for sure if my old wireless module could be upgrade to the new one but it seems to work fine for now so I might not bother to go back to the store. In conclusion, I suggest you get the old one as soon as it stills in stock but if you dont, ask the store to install the new one for you and tests if it worked fine which I think they should all be compatible as in my case. Hope this information helps you to decide better.

3. SCSnare thread starter macrumors member