airport extreme card

dukebound85

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
hi, I just got the airport extreme card for my 1ghz emac and it doesn't show up on my computer. I have followed the directions about installing and have the updated software for the card, so I am clueless about why it is not being detected on my emac. Any ideas? Thanks

TMA

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2003
England
Did you make sure to install the Antenna connection properly? It's usually a tight fit and requires a fair amount of pressure to get it all the way in. It's worth checking, but don't force it if it wont go in.

Edit - I doubt it's this that's the problem. Even with the antenna disconnected the mac should be able to see it.

Josh396

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2004
Peoria/Chicago, IL
dukebound85 said:
hi, I just got the airport extreme card for my 1ghz emac and it doesn't show up on my computer. I have followed the directions about installing and have the updated software for the card, so I am clueless about why it is not being detected on my emac. Any ideas? Thanks
Not exactly sure, but it could be that your computer isn't Airport Extreme ready.

TMA

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2003
England
Josh396 said:
Not exactly sure, but it could be that your computer isn't Airport Extreme ready.
If it comes with the slot for an Airport card then it's Airport ready. I believe original eMacs took Airport cards where as newer eMacs definately take Airport Extreme Cards.

Further suggestions: Have you checking to make sure the card is installed all the way in? I had trouble with an eMac before getting it to go in properly, it seems to need to go much further inside the computer than you'd imagine. Also can you see if the card shows up in the system profiler? (Apple menu > About this Mac > More info...)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.