Airport extreme card

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by TravisReynolds, Apr 13, 2008.

1. TravisReynolds macrumors regular

TravisReynolds

What is the best and cheapest way to get an airport extreme card? I do not want to do it myself.

I just want to know the cheapest and fastest way, because I don't want to spend to much time away from my baby

2. PodPacker macrumors regular

PodPacker

Diy

The cheapest way is to DIY. The "labor" can cost from $30 to $90. That's how they get you.
    It's not rocket science, all you need is the Internet, some tools and a little time.

3. gunbu macrumors newbie

Got mine at a macmall for $49, came with the screws and everything. Just use a small Magnetic screwdriver and you'll have the whole thing done in under ten minutes. If you have any experience building a pc, you won't even break a sweat.

4. Kobekes macrumors member

Did you manage to install te Airport Extreme Card in your Mac Pro?

On the Apple website they mention that this card is 802.11g !?
    Can you upgrade the card to 802.11n with the 2 dollar software update for the AirPort Extreme Basestation?

Any links to the installation of the Card are welcome! :)

5. krye macrumors 68000

krye

6. gunbu macrumors newbie

Kobekes,
    The card will automatically be 802.11n. I was wondering about the same thing before I installed it.

Krye,
    Very awesome how-to you got there. Great pics and explanation.

7. peejack macrumors 6502a

How do you get hold of these cards in the UK??

Will they work with the new mac pro's???

I have been wanting to get one for ages.

8. Kobekes macrumors member

I have decided not to buy a AirPort Extreme Card, but a AirPort Express instead.

I have a network cable on my Mac Pro, and for the connection with my stereo/TV/printer I made several alternative setups:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Kobekes macrumors member

or with a wireless ADSL modem ....

[​IMG]

Too bad that you can't connect a printer on the AppleTV USB-port :-(

10. Videographer macrumors member

Krye, what year is your MP? I just spoke with an Apple rep, to whom I gave my serial number, who then consulted with an engineer, who said that I could not install the Airport Extreme card myself (because it involved soldering) and there was no way to upgrade it from G to N. I bought my MP the month they first came out in '06 and did not get the wireless card. Will your tutorial work for me?

I'm looking to get this card: Airport Extreme Card

Inside my computer looks the same as yours so I feel like it will work. I just don't know why they wouldn't know about the upgrade to N option. He actually said it was an issue with the chip and could not be changed from G. :confused:

This was of course after I went to the store to try to get the card and they would not sell it to me. Should I proceed as planned with the internet purchase? Thanks.

11. Videographer macrumors member

12. wsu108 macrumors newbie

If you read the description of this card in Apple's web site, you will find the following statement:

This AirPort Extreme Card is not compatible with the Mac Pro or the Power Mac G5 Dual and Power Mac G5 Quad computers introduced in October 2005

So if your Mac Pro is purchased after Oct. 2005, you can't use this card.

Actually, the Mac Pro early 2008 is using another model of Airport Extreme card than the 2007 Mac Pro, which has N capacity. You need to be carefuly to get the right model.

I installed the Airport Extreme card by myself for my early 2008 Mac Pro. it's very easy.

13. Videographer macrumors member

By that statement it shouldn't work in your computer either. What are my options here? I have the 2006 Mac Pro. This should be a lot more simple than it is.

14. Videographer macrumors member

15. Videographer macrumors member

And it was a success. :) But I must say parts have certainly gotten smaller since I was building computers in '98. Those wire connecters were tiny! I had trouble with the #3 wire but got it do bite in after much fudging around. It is indeed best done before screwing the card down, at least for me.

Thanks for the help. Is there any way to check if my network is connected via N? Thanks.

16. Shelob macrumors newbie