Airport Extreme - Compatible Network Adapter

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by numbersyx, Aug 17, 2007.

1. numbersyx macrumors 65816

numbersyx

Just bought an AEBS to replace my d-link dir 625. The D-Link was continually dropping out ever since the last software update.

Really like the AEBS (only 3 gigabit ports though) but have a problem. My wife's PC which actually uses a d-link network adaptor card (slotted into PCMIA) can now no longer see my network. I suspect this is because I am running the Airport at 5Ghz (n only) to get the best speed. Anyone know of a compatible adapter card? Or is there another solution to this?

Thanks.

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

You realize that unless you are transferring files to another machine on your network then running at n speed only has no benefit. Even g speed is much faster than your internet connection, so you'll not notice any improvement by going up to n. The only time you will notice a difference, as I said, is transferring files between two computers on your own network.

3. numbersyx thread starter macrumors 65816

numbersyx

Yes. That's exactly what I'm doing as I have a Network Attached Storage drive attached to the AEBS. It does pain me to have to reduce the speed. Still I'm hoping someone has an answer....

4. Objectivist-C macrumors 6502

I'd be rather surprised if any of the wifi gear manufacturers didn't have pre-N PCMIA cards.

5. guru_ck macrumors 6502

Same issue here. Bought a AEBS but need to find a PCI card for the PC that will operate at 5GHz. Anyone?

6. macleod199 macrumors 6502

This is exactly what i wanted for my PC, and I couldn't find anything. Even the fancier/more expensive DLink pre-N card I looked at didn't do 5 GHz, so I was out of luck. I was in a hurry so I limited myself to just what I could buy locally and return if necessary (I wasn't sure if it would work with Linux, either).

The problem seems to be that 5 GHz support is an optional part of the spec. I was really disappointed, too. :(

To the original poster, the best you can probably do at the moment is get a draft-N card for your wife's computer, and run N-only at 2.4 GHz. I'd imagine you'd still be approaching the limits of the hard drive transfer speed on your NAS, unless you have some pretty serious equipment.