Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jent

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 31, 2010
My landlord recently updated the wireless router to an AirPort Extreme. This broke functionality with an old b- or g-speed USB wifi adapter for the TiVo. He ordered a pretty standard n-speed USB wifi adapter but the TiVo said it wasn't WPA2 (if I recall correctly) compatible. Does anyone know of an 802.11n USB wifi adapter for TiVo that is compatible with WPA2 and the AirPort Extreme? Thanks!

eyepea

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2012
It's not your cheapest option but would be guaranteed to work with the Extreme:

Apple AirPort Express.

You could either run it wired (best option) or as a WiFi extender and plug the Tivo RJ45 (if it has Rj45 (aka Ethernet Cable)) directly into it, and you also have stronger WiFi in your room.

BUT if the TiVo is only WiFI this set up may not necessarily work as your Tivo may not connect to the Express Wifi as well.

The Express gives a number of options including your own WiFI network (or an extension of the main WiFi network), USB Printer Server, AirPlay and an ethernet output (for your Tivo) and also Wifi as well.

Make sure it is the new model though because the old model only has WAN (not ethernet like the new model).

IP

an-other

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2011
Get a new adapter...

You can pick-up a Tivo wireless b/g off ebay for $10 - $20.

Faster wireless is always better. However, you have to ask yourself: how are you using the Tivo? If you're using the Tivo to get scheduling then stay with G. I'll venture it takes less than 30 seconds of "network" time to get schedule information. The system preparing the scheduling query takes a minute or two, and won't be impacted by any network adapter.

If you're using the Tivo to watch Netflix or Amazon to go, then the network adapter becomes more important. However, your landlord's network speed is more important than the adapter. I've had no issues with either over "g".

If you're using Tivo to go, your adapter screen is critical. However, if you can get Roxio Toast to work I'll tip my hat to you. The program, once a top tier one, is now virtually useless for many things -- but that's another story and unrelated.

Whilst I have no experience with the Tivo "N" adapter, there's a lot of reports of it being quite persnickity, and requiring the occasional reconfiguration to work. Take this paragraph sceptically as it's based on other's reports (which may or may not be valid.)

Good luck.

presmoore

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2013
Register your MAC Address!

If you live in an apartment complex and use the internet provided for you by the apartment. . . Try registering the MAC Address (printed on the back of your TiVo box) with your Internet Service Provider (e.g., Time Warner Cable). You do this by going to the website, which you used initially to set up your internet.

Note: the MAC Address on the back of your TiVo box may not be shown with colons (xx:xx:xx:xx:xx) as it's supposed to. That's okay. Just add them in every two characters.

Hope this helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.