Airport Extreme configuration HELP?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Go Go, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Go Go macrumors newbie

Go Go

Past; Cable modem to a NetGear router, router to the Airport. Router to the Mac Pro, worked fine.

Present; exchanged my old cable modem for a new one, cable tech insisted that the cable modem go directly into the Airport, Airport directly to the Mac Pro, Airport to the NetGear router. (NetGear router is also new Gigabit model)

Apple tech insists above set up is correct. Airport has updated software, and was reset.

Resulting in verrrrrry sloooow internet. Pages load on average in 15 seconds.

The Cable modem is good when directly connected to the Mac Pro everything is fast.

Help?

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Why are you connecting two routers together?

If you have to have them connected together, put the Airport or the other one into bridge mode.

3. Go Go thread starter macrumors newbie

Go Go

I have a Cable Modem from Motorola that converts the coax signal from ISP, from there I am connected via Ethernet cat 6 to my Airport Extreme and from there to my Mac Pro. This configuration is slow as molasses!

WHY?

4. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Hmmm... another question for you, why are you using CAT6? Why not CAT5 or CAT5e?

Are you running the Airport in DHCP or by static IP addressing? Do you have the latest firmware for the Airport?

AirPort Base Station and Time Capsule Firmware Update 7.5.2 Information

By the sounds of your configuration, it should be running fine.

5. Go Go thread starter macrumors newbie

Go Go

interesting.

The sales guy just handed me the cat 6 cable, I have plenty of cat 5 is that the problem?

I have updated the Airport, yes.
    I am running in DHCP with a password.
    Apple tech reset and helped me set up the Airport.

6. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

If you have a CAT5e cable, try it and see if it makes a difference. I'm not totally positive if the AEBS supports CAT6 or not. I use CAT5e on mine and have no issues.

Also check the router logs for any unusual activity.

7. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

What's that got to do with anything? Cat6 and 5 are interchangeable for this use.....it's not a Cat6 problem unless the cable is bad to begin with.

8. jenzjen macrumors 68000

You didn't answer the question someone asked earlier, do you have either router in bridge mode? If not, that's most likely the issue.

9. Go Go thread starter macrumors newbie

Go Go

12 seconds

Clicking on this page took 12 seconds to open from the reply button.

Just to be clear;

Cable modem (motorola surfboard) --> to Apple Airport Extreme --> Mac Pro.

I only have access to the Apple Airport Extreme, I have opened Network Preferences and cannot find any bridge mode in any dialog box.

Maybe a another screen or a tab or another place? Suggestion?

Thanks by the way for helping me out!

10. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

How about you methodically go about trying to solve your problem, instead of randomly guessing?

-Disconnect everything from your cable modem and plug it directly into your Mac Pro. Does this fix the problem? If not, you have a problem with your modem. If it does fix your problem,

--> Disconnect your Mac Pro from the modem and connect your Airport Extreme to your cable modem, and the Mac Pro to the Airport Extreme. Does this solve your problem? If not, it's probably your Airport Extreme. If it does fix your problem, keep adding network hardware one at a time until you can at least localize the point of failure.