Airport Extreme configuration help

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by northernmunky, Oct 26, 2014.

1. northernmunky macrumors 6502a

northernmunky

Hey all,
    I have just bought an Airport Extreme (latest model) base station (on 7.7.3). Massive improvement over my old TP-Link! Anyways.... I'm in UK and have a Sky ADSL router which is not the most configurable router in the world and am setting up a 10.10 Server as well so I want the Airport Extreme to handle DHCP and turn off the WiFi on my broadband router.

So, my question is, I'm looking for the correct method of configuring this so my Apple router is the DHCP & Nat server, and router just handled the ADSL into the house.

[​IMG]

As you can see, with my Sky router I can turn off DHCP, but not sure if its really that simple? If I turn it off, how does the Sky router assign an IP to the Airport Extreme?

Anyone else who has already done all of this your help would be much appreciated!

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

It doesn't. The Extreme already has its own self assigned IP address. Typically 10.0.1.1.

3. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

The Extreme would need an IP on its WAN port.

4. priitv8 macrumors 68030

Not familiar with the Sky router, but I would also check it's WAN setup.
    Basically, what you want to achieve is to switch your Sky router completely off performing router/NAT/DHCP duties and just keep it's ADSL Modem functionality.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I'm not clear what you are trying to say?

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5566

Look here to get the WAN MAC address.

See this from my Time Capsule. The WAN is 10.0.1.1.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Most likely, you will have to call your ISP (Internet service provider) and ask them to switch the equipment to bridge mode. That being said, as I understand it, if you subscribe to other services through Sky then they may be affected. A quick call to them will give you an answer. If they cannot switch the Sky equipment into bridge mode, then your best option would to be to add the Extreme into the DMZ (demilitarized zone) with a static IP on the Sky router.

10.0.1.1 is the router address for any client behind your Time Capsule. The IP address on a typical bridged modem is your global IP (public IP). In my case, I have a Motorola SurfBoard SB6121 feeding the Extreme and it uses an internal DHCP server to give out IPs to its clients. The IP on the WAN port is labeled IP Address when you select your base station and not LAN IP address.

Attached Files:

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Exactly. That is the TC WAN port IP.

I still have no idea what you are trying to say.

Read the link I posted and look at my screenshots. The TC WAN port IP is 10.0.1.1. That IP address you are referring to is the public IP address of the cable modem that is shown in Airport Utility and that is attached to the cable modem MAC address. If you go to this site or others like it you will see that your public IP shown there is the IP you are seeing there in Airport Utility.

http://www.whatsmyip.org

8. Alrescha macrumors 68020

When you have a typical cable modem operating in bridge mode it has no IP address. It is a layer-2 bridge, not an IP device (yes, it has some IP addresses for management, but that is not relevant).

In such a case, the Airport's WAN address is the public IP address. The LAN address is one from the RFC 1918 ranges. (10, 172, 192).

A.

9. northernmunky thread starter macrumors 6502a

northernmunky

Cheers everyone, I'll have another try tomorrow.

10. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

The IP address (WAN IP) shown when you select your base station is different from your global IP (public IP) which is shown when you click the Internet Globe in AirPort Utility. 10.0.1.1 is the router address not the WAN IP.

Exactly! Some modems however have DHCP running on them like the Motorola SurfBoards.

11. Alrescha macrumors 68020

I would not think so, not if they are in bridge mode. In those cases the DHCP is handled farther upstream (e.g. in my case, I can swap out endless cable modems, but my Airport always gets the same IP address from my ISP's DHCP server, based on the Airports MAC address).

A.

12. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

My SurfBoard (SB6121) running on Comcast gets the same IP every time from the ISP. However, there is an internal DHCP server that can run when more than one Ethernet client is connected. By default it is a standard layer 2 bridge.

13. Alrescha macrumors 68020

I believe that is only supposed to function when there is no ISP connection - so that local hosts have some hope of being able to talk to each other until service is restored.

A.

14. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

The SurfBoards support up to 64 clients and I highly doubt an ISP is going to give 64 public IPs to anyone with a modem. I think that is when the DHCP kicks in.

15. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I see where you are getting confused.

I am not talking about your Internet (public) WAN IP address. I am talking about the IP address of the WAN port of the router. If you read the Apple support doc. again and look at my screenshots you will see that IP address is 10.1.1.1 like I said.

----------

This is correct. It is just to allow admin access if the cable modem is not connecting to the CMTS. More info here and here.

That Moto cable modem DHCP has nothing to do with handing out IP addresses for public Internet access. When the cable modem is connected to the CMTS that internal DHCP is disabled.

It is explained on the cable modem config. page.

http://192.168.100.1/cmConfig.htm

[​IMG]