Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

askywalker

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 18, 2007
Does the hard drive speed matter on an external hard drive that is connected to the Airport Extreme? I am going to buy the AEBS and connect a drive to it - does the drive speed matter at all, or will the USB on the AEBS (and the LAN connections) make that irrelevant?

Also - does anyone know if I can access the external drive from Windows 2003, XP and Vista boxes? I sure hope so!

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
Does the hard drive speed matter on an external hard drive that is connected to the Airport Extreme? I am going to buy the AEBS and connect a drive to it - does the drive speed matter at all, or will the USB on the AEBS (and the LAN connections) make that irrelevant?

Also - does anyone know if I can access the external drive from Windows 2003, XP and Vista boxes? I sure hope so!

No. The AEBS CPU can't even keep the USB connection running at full speed. Expect top speeds of 5-10MBps max regardless of drive.

askywalker

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 18, 2007
Really? Even with 802.11n? That's disappointing...I was looking at getting the 802.11n for a faster network in my house :(

Yah - my place is also wired, so I was hoping the gigabit lan speed would be helpful. I suppose I need to invest in a proper NAS, but was hoping to cheap-out on the Airport Extreme...

I wonder if any NAS devices will be any better? I suppose that if I want to have 'fast' access I will have to use e-sata or fw800 - which means carrying around the drive with me... kinda killing the portability of the mbp.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.