Airport Extreme: connected? or not...

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by c23roo, Jun 18, 2007.

1. c23roo macrumors regular

I had an old PM G5 desktop I just replaced with a mac pro, and I'm trying to get my old Airport Extreme Base Station set up again. Here's the problem:

After hooking everything back up, and restarting everything, etc...

I can't access the internet. After going through Network Diagnostics, the message from the computer is that I'm connected to the internet - but the problem is either with the server or with my internet provider.

However...

I can get internet directly via cable modem to the compter (which is how I'm connected right now).

I can print wirelessly from the desktop to my printer (USB hooked up to Airport Base Station.

When I go to internet connect, it says I'm connected to the internet.

Still, when I try to click Safari to open my browser, I get the error message that I'm not connected and offers me the Network Diagnostics option, which sends me back with the same message.

I have my iBook next to me right now, and I'm getting the ssame messages on there (I'm connected to the internet, but won't load pages in Safari)...

Help!

- C

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

You are on the internet directly to post this thread. Yet, when you open Safari you get the "Not Connected" dialog? Or do you mean when you try wirelessly you get the not connected jargon?

Either way sounds like you have to get your Airport and Mac Pro to play nicely. Probably do a reset of the Airport base and start again.

3. c23roo thread starter macrumors regular

The problem is when I tried wirelessly. I can connect directly (which I did so I could post here and troubleshoot), which I think tells me it's not an ISP problem.

How do I reset the Base Station? I think I might have tried that. When I went to Airport Setup Assistant, it asked me if there was a new one to set up or and old one to reconfigure. I tried to choose new one, and it couldn't find the device. So I proceeded with the reconfigure option, it found my base station, and said all was ok.

Is there a different way to reset?

Thanks for your help...

-c

4. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

There should be a hardware reset button (use a pencil or pen). Hold for 5 or 10 seconds, some light will flash 3 times.

Something like that?

5. c23roo thread starter macrumors regular

So I have tried updating my firmware, a soft reset on the Airport (which did not solve the problem), then a hard reset (essentially doing the setup again) and I'm still in the same predicament.

Able to connect to internet cable modem directly into computer.

Able to use Airport with the following setup: cable modem - to Airport / Printer connected to Airport via USB... so I can print remotely from my desktop to the printer just fine.

Could this be some problem with the Airport / Browser?

- C

6. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

make sure that your IPs, subnet, dhcp (if applicable) are set to the same as the airport!!! your computer might be grabbing some random ip address from somewhere else. did you set up your airport to use dhcp or manual stuffs..

7. c23roo thread starter macrumors regular

Airport is set up to DHCP I'm pretty sure... Have to confess I don't know how to verify that other stuff you listed...

8. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

ok if airport is using DHCP you should be pretty ok. go to system preferences, then network, then choose airport where your avaliable mediums are. it should then show the window with a number of different tabs, "airport" "TCP/IP" "PPoE" etcetcetc. you want to hit the "TCP/IP" tab. from there you want to make sure that you are configuring IPv4 "Using DHCP". it should then be able to pick up the airport if you hit "renew DHCP lease". if it cannot do that you may have to manually configure it, i can help if you want and im sure many other people here would aswell.

hope all is ok

DoFoT9

9. c23roo thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks so much. Renewed the DHCP lease and after a restart everything's in order. Thanks again...

-c