airport extreme connection fallout

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Diabeetus, Jan 21, 2008.

1. Diabeetus macrumors member

i have an airport extreme with 802.11n and all those bells and jingles, and occasionally the connection will just randomly go out, while the airport light remains green. i go turn it off and back on, and it works for about another 5 minutes, when the connection goes out yet again.

i have the most recent firmware for it, our phone's frequency has nothing to do with it since we rarely use a phone. changing the channel rarely does anything (currently channel 7, if it matters), interface robustness is on. is there any solution other than bringing it back to apple?

2. Schroedinger macrumors regular

Schroedinger

I've been having the same problem, and it's actually quite common. What has finally seemed to work for me is to change the IPv6 settings from the default to local only. I've been okay since then, but I wouldn't bet the farm that there won't be more problems.

Some people also suggest turning off Azureus if you have that running, as that seems to be causing the problem for some.

All we can do is hope for a fix soon.

Good luck.

3. Diabeetus thread starter macrumors member

will changing it to local cause any limitations to speed, connections, or remote desktop to my family's computers?

4. Schroedinger macrumors regular

Schroedinger

It won't cause any problems. IPv6 is the next standard, most of the web today uses IPv4 so you shouldn't have any problems.

By the time IPv6 is a necessity I'm sure we'll be several firmware updates down the road and hopefully this won't be an issue.

5. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

If all else fails I would take it to the nearest apple store. When they first came out I bought one and it failed. Took it to the apple store and they tested it there and found the problem. Replaced it and was good to go.