Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jlputnam1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 4, 2009
We have an older Airport Extreme Base Station that provides a direct hardwire Ethernet connection to an HP notebook and wireless connection to two other PC notebooks and an iMac DVD-SE work station. All work fine in this configuration; however, we now need to connect the HP notebook wireless as well - and, of course, it can not find our wireless signal. Again, it works when wired directly to the Airport, and it also can find two other neighboring wireless networks, but not ours - why?

I may have an HP/PC problem, but may also need to do something with my Airport and am not sure which way to turn for answers.

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
Simple things first...

have you set up your airport to hide its wireless name? If thats the case then any new laptop would not be able to see the network unless you type in your network name.

jlputnam1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 4, 2009
I think I've done that....

...and the computer is looking for a network by the correct name, as indicated by a balloon message pointing to the network symbol (with red 'X') in the lower right corner of the screen saying that "xxxx network is not available". I also understand that the network name is case sensitive.

Thanks for your input - I'm sure that the solution will be equally simple when we find it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.