Airport Extreme connection problems

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by cliko, Dec 21, 2010.

1. cliko macrumors newbie

Every time something changes on my Airport Extreme, I lose connection on my iPod touch, iPhone 4 and Nintendo Wii. The last time this happened, I had briefly unplugged the Airport and nothing would connect to it other than my iMac and Macbook Pro. It fixed itself after round a week and a half. This time, I updated the firmware on it (the light was flashing amber to remind me) and I'm having the problem again. Is there anything I can do to fix it?

Serial Number for the Airport: 6F9420EMAQC

PS I have already complained to Apple.

Also, when it does work, it doesn't work completely. I can't use certain features on the iPod touch and the iPhone. For example, I can never use FaceTime and notifications never work. If I go to another WiFi hotspot then it will work there and will work back at home for about a week but then it will stop working again.

I know that's really two questions but I suspect they are related. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

What does this mean? Do you "lose connection" to the Airport itself (as in you can't even select the SSID in the wireless network drop down), or are you connected but can't connect to the internet?

3. cliko thread starter macrumors newbie

I guess I was a little unclear. When I tap the network, which is still visible, it says 'unable to join network'. Except on the Wii, where the network doesn't appear at all.

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Have you tried using only the 2.4 GHz or only the 5 GHz band?

5. cliko thread starter macrumors newbie

The 5ghz network has never shown up on the iPod touch or the iPhone. Should I try turning it off?

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Might as well. The devices that are losing connection all are outfitted for the 2.4 GHz band. I think there are some firmware issues in Apple devices at least that confuse the two and cause annoyances.

7. cliko, Dec 21, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2010

cliko thread starter macrumors newbie

Damn, I've forgotten how!

EDIT:

Don't worry, got it. Rechecking now.

EDIT 2:

Some guy on another forum just solved it for me. I set the channel manually. Thanks for all your time and help :)

8. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

What channel were you on before? What did you change it to?