Airport Extreme connectivity issue.

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by xfusejc, Jun 25, 2007.

1. xfusejc macrumors 6502

I have a DSL modem at home, which is connected to my phone line (where the service comes in from) and which then goes out to my iMac through a Ethernet wire. I needed to buy a router now so that I can share my internet connection with both my iMac and the MacBook, namely because the Internet Sharing option is so slow when sharing through Airport.

I was looking at the Airport Extreme, but I noticed that there's nowhere to put the incoming phone cord, which is where I get my service from. There's Ethernet ports, but wouldn't I need to connect the phone line to the Airport Extreme in order to send out the signal? Or am I just erasing the DSL Modem from the equation when it needs to be there? I can see connecting the Ethernet from the DSL modem to the Airport Express and then using that to broadcast the internet signal?

Sorry for the confussion.

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Yes. Connect the DSL modem to the ethernet port on the Airport Extreme. Its the port next to the USB with the O over it.

3. Scottyk9 macrumors 6502a

you need the DSL modem

connect and ethernet cable (RJ-45) from the DSL modem to a router (i.e. airport extreme or express, or any other modem)

4. xfusejc thread starter macrumors 6502

Right, and then I'd connect a Ethernet cable from the Airport Extreme to my iMac, while at the same time sharing the connection wirelessly with my MacBook, right?

I want the iMac connected, if at all possible.

5. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Right. You don't even need the iMac to connect by ethernet cable as it can talk wirelessly with the Airport Extreme but it generally is a good idea to at least set these things up through an ethernet connection rather than wirelessly.

6. xfusejc thread starter macrumors 6502

Great :) This was very helpful.

A couple of things: since you mention that I don't even need the iMac to be connected to the Internet in both of them, what about the set-up? Once I connect all the cables and everything is in the right order, wouldn't I still need a computer to set things up, or at least a primary computer to set everything up? Namely, I want to password protect the whole thing. I can only do that with a computer, right? Unless I would set it up wirelessly from either of the two, in which case I feel very dumb right about now for asking the question in the first place.

And obviously one is more expensive than the other, but what would be the main difference between the Extreme and the other base (the one that looks like the Apple TV?)

7. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

You do need a computer to set the Airport up and to administer it (passwords and so forth). It should preferably be connected via an ethernet cable and either the iMac or the MacBook can do that. Once it has been set up both machines can communicate wirelessly, should you wish.

I am not sure what you mean about your last question. Apple has two base stations both called Extreme. The old one which they no longer sell except in the "refurbished" shop is what is commonly refered to as the "UFO" model. It is round and dome shaped. It only has a g mode wireless connection. The new Extreme (the one I tought you were refering to originally) looks like the AppleTV and works in wireless n mode (much faster) as well as g. Apple also sells a third type of Airport base station called the Express. This is a small unit that looks like the MacBook's power supply. It operated in g mode and has only one ethernet port that can be used either as an input (from a computer) or an output (to a router). If you are using this last model, you will need to hook up the ethernet port to your DSL modem and configure the Airport Express wirelessly from either computer.

8. xfusejc thread starter macrumors 6502

I was talking about the Express then. My bad.

So I can only do the Ethernet from the Modem and from the Extreme to the iMac with the Extreme, not with the Express? That just killed my plans. lol

If you don't mind my asking, do you have either of the two or do you have another router? Would you recommend any other one?

9. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I have a D-Link router similar to the old Extreme. My neighbour has both the new Extreme and the Express and I have set him up with both.

The Express should be fine for your needs as long as you don't go out of range (say 50' or so). It really is quite easy to set up and Apples support pages have lots of info on setting up wireless networks.

10. xfusejc thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for all the help :) I really appreciate it.

11. xfusejc thread starter macrumors 6502

I went and got the Extreme at BestBuy today :) It works great!