Airport Extreme connectivity problems

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by CoreyHendo, Nov 1, 2009.

1. CoreyHendo macrumors newbie

Here is a rundown of my equipment:
    • Macbook (2.2 GHz running Leopard)
    • Airport Extreme (just bought yesterday)
    • iPhone (three of them running 3.1.2)
    • HP notebook with Vista (SP1)
    • Motorola Surfboard cable modem (101u model - also bought yesterday)

General Issues:
    • Can't see Airport Extreme in Airport Utility
    • Can't connect to main network
    • Can connect to "guest network" wireless on Macbook but not with HP
    • Can connect WIRED with both computers
    • Can't connect with any of the iPhones

Yesterday I moved into a new apartment and decided to treat myself to a Airport Extreme and new cable modem. I installed the Airport Utility and followed the instructions for setting up a network. Everything seemed to setup correctly and the Airport Extreme had a green solid light on the front. From my Macbook I can see both the networks (main and guest), but cannot connect to either wirelessly. The error message is a connection timeout. I'm certain that the passwords are correct.

I decided to reset all the settings and try again. I was able to reset the Airport Extreme settings using the Airport Utility. Now I still can't connect to the main network, but can connect to the guest network (wirelessly). When I open the Airport Utility it tells me that there are no apple devices seen. This is obviously false as I connected to it currently and this thread will be made while connected to the guest network.

Help? Please.

EDIT: I wanted to add a picture that showed my Airport Utility. You can see this thread in the background.

[​IMG]

2. skorpien macrumors 68020

If I understand you correctly, you're connected to the guest network while trying to access the Extreme's settings in AirPort Utility, correct? You won't be able to do this as guest network clients cannot connect or see anything on your network, including your AEBS. I can confirm this as I have the newest model AEBS and can't see it in my AirPort Utility when connected to the guest network. You'll have to connect to your AEBS with Ethernet to be able to access it. You can also try holding the reset button on the back of the AEBS for roughly a minute (may be less, not exactly sure). This will bring your AEBS back to factory defaults and let you set up from scratch. I can't comment on why you'd have issues connecting to the main wireless network however. The only suggestion I can make is to be absolutely sure you installed AirPort Utility from the CD that came with the AEBS.

3. CoreyHendo thread starter macrumors newbie

I didn't think about the fact that I wouldn't be able to access it if I was logged into the guest account. I'm about to log out and disable the security for a minute to see if I can log into the main account.
    • I did the reset button on the back already.
    • I did the install with the cd that came with the AEBS (nice, handy acronym, BTW).

Thanks. I'll report back.

4. CoreyHendo thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok.

Reset to factory defaults and re-setup the network with security. Couldn't connect to the main network but could connect to the guest. I removed the security on the main network and can connect to it and everything is working properly. I'm still able to connect to the guest network as well (which is still secured).

BTW, this is all with my Macbook currently.

5. CoreyHendo thread starter macrumors newbie

Went back in and re-adjusted the settings to enable security. Now I cannot connect. Wow. I'm frustrated. :(

And now my iPhone will connect to the guest network.

6. skorpien macrumors 68020

That is very perplexing. Since you've recently purchased it, I'd suggest calling AppleCare. They may be able to help you figure this out. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

7. CoreyHendo thread starter macrumors newbie

Not a problem. I really do appreciate the help. I plan to call them today and will report what we find.

If anyone else has any ideas, please feel free to post 'em up.