AirPort Extreme crashing constantly

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by timmer.web, Dec 4, 2008.

1. timmer.web macrumors newbie

I have a new Airport Extreme N wireless basestation, and unfortunately it is causing nothing but problems so far. The device crashes daily (often multiple times) and requires a power cycle to make things work again. Connectivity to it is completely lost for both wired and wireless clients.

Here's a little more detail about what my setup is:
    - Airport Extreme N wireless basestation, latest firmware
    - D-Link powered USB hub plugged into the Airport's USB port
    - Western Digital MyBook Mirror 2 TB USB hard drive hooked up to the hub (all default setup still, 1 partition)
    - Samsung ML-2010 USB laser printer also hooked up to the USB hub

What I've been doing a lot of is populating the WD drive hooked up to the Airport (via the USB hub). I've been re-ripping all my CDs in iTunes using Apple Lossless Compression, with my iTunes library residing on the WD drive. Also, I have enabled Time Machine on my main computer (MacBook Pro), so that is periodically doing its backup business. Finally, there are some other network clients that are doing fairly minimal network activity (AppleTV, my wife's iBook, and an older desktop Mac).

It seems like everything I'm doing would be considered kosher, so I'm really disappointed at the incredibly instability of the AirPort Extreme. As I type this, the Airport is only barely working, the wireless is up but the shared drives are not visible and I cannot connect to it with AirPort Utility. Have I just gotten a lemon, or am I doing something wrong? I can't believe its normally this unstable, its pretty much unusable.

Any help would really be appreciated, I really want to make this setup work.

-Tim

2. timmer.web thread starter macrumors newbie

Just a quick follow-up, I have turned Time Machine off, but that doesn't help, its still crashing frequently. Do I just have a faulty Airport Extreme? I'll try calling Apple Support this week and see if they have any pointers.