Airport Extreme dead and making high pitched noise :(

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Chic0, Jan 15, 2012.

1. Chic0 macrumors 6502

I've had my current Airport Extreme for about a year after buying it as new from somebody else. So all in all I think it was originally bought about 16months ago, therefore is out of warranty

I have just got back home only to find I had no wifi. I look up at router and the green light isnt even on. So I unplug it a few times from mains and plug back in, but still nothing. The only thing I can hear is a high pitched noise coming from the base station everytime I plug it in

I have tried changing a fuse and resetting it using the button, but nothing helps. I'm almost sure the unit is dead, but wanted to know if there is anything else I could try before I look to replacing it :(

2. psxguru macrumors 6502a

Unless you know someone else with one to try their PSU with it, there's probably not a lot you can do :(

3. Chic0 thread starter macrumors 6502

That's a good idea, but unfortunately I don't know anybody nearby who has one. The two people I know who do live 200miles away :(

I might take it to my Apple store later this week to see what they say.

4. lexvo macrumors 65816

Have you tried a factory reset?
    - Unplug it from power
    - push and hold the reset button
    - plug it into power again while still holding the reset button
    - release the reset button after a few seconds

5. benedetti macrumors member

My Airport Extreme just died.
    18 months old, model MC340LL (dual).
    The same high pitched noise coming from the base station everytime I plug it in.
    Power adapter is OK.
    Soft/hard reset doesn't work.
    Probably a transformer or wifi cards :////.

6. a3p3g macrumors newbie

has anyone had any luck with this? i came home yesterday to the same situation.... my v4 extreme is also dead (no lights and a buzzing noise coming from it) and i fear i am screwed. i bought it off of someone on ebay 1 year and 1 week (exactly) that was in "new in box" status. i wrote the guy asking if he knew if it had ANY warranty left when he sold it to me in that status and he wasnt very helpful. was curious if anyone found the root of the issue and maybe could be a part replacement maybe rather than having to buy a new one(longshot i know)