Airport extreme decision

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by applegreenhorn, Dec 14, 2010.

1. applegreenhorn macrumors newbie

I have a netgear n300 that i only paid $40 for. Doesn't seem to be giving me better speeds than my old g router. Was wondering if i would see any significant performance with the airport extreme?

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

It's possible, but not really likely. Your actual internet connection may not be fast enough to take full advantage of the wireless n capability.

3. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

While some routers are just better than others, remember that just because your router is capable of 300Mbps, does not mean your internet will necessarily be faster. For instance if you get 10Mbps internet, you will not see a difference in internet speed between G and N. It will top out at ABOUT 10Mbps.

Where routers speed really shine is local network stuff. Moving a file between computers at N speeds is obviously faster than G.

That being said, my Airport Extreme has been a beauty. I set it up over a year ago, and haven't launched Airport Utility once since then. Speeds are lightning fast, and I get about a block or so of range...Kinda flat land where I'm at though.

4. applegreenhorn thread starter macrumors newbie

i have fios 35/35. verizon router is only g, thats why i wanted to upgrade to n for my ipad and macbook air.