Airport Extreme disconnections

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Mick B, Mar 1, 2009.

1. Mick B macrumors newbie

Mick B

Can anyone help me with setting up this bit of kit. I have set up the airport extreme via ethernet and iMac and then activated the base unit as wireless and all is ok .My laptop, iPhone all connect with no issues to the wifi connection. Once the iMac is removed from the ethernet the problems start. Using the iMac wireless is ok until I switch of the mac and reboot. I have to go through the process of trying to find a wifi connection everytime I switch the mac on but my iphone laptop is fine. It is all set up to recognize the connection so what am I doing wrong :mad:

2. kolax macrumors G3

So to cut down a wordy question: Your iMac has trouble re-connecting to your Airport Extreme while your other devices are fine?

Have you added your wireless to your iMac? What sort of security? Do you experience dropouts when using wireless on your iMac?

3. Mick B thread starter macrumors newbie

Mick B

Hi sorry for the long question but yes it has trouble reconnecting. It does suffer the odd drop out as well . The security is WPA 2.
    When connected via ethernet it all works fine with no issues .Strange how my other wireless items connect with no problems.The iMac is around 6 months old if that makes a difference to anything.

4. kolax macrumors G3

Try changing the wireless channel in the Airport Extreme settings - although some devices play nice, others have trouble with certain wireless channels.

In my old flat - my flatmate had an HP laptop, and my Mac, Apple TV etc were fine but his had trouble with channel 11 for some reason.

5. Mick B thread starter macrumors newbie

Mick B

Tried changing channels but no Joy :mad:Looks like i will have to hard wire the Mac :mad: