Airport Extreme Disk Sharing

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by badman89, Feb 13, 2012.

1. badman89 macrumors regular

I have an external HD connected to my airport extreme and I don't face any problems accessing the HD from any computer that is connected to the same router (wired or wirelessly).

However, the top floor of my house is out of reach for the wireless signal. Thus, I have a wired connection going from the airport router to the top floor. I could technically just plug this ethernet cable into my computer on the top floor and then I would be able to access the internet and the external HD with no problems. But, what I have done instead is I have connected the ethernet cable to another router on the top floor (because my macbook air doesn't have an ethernet slot). This allows me to use the internet, but I can't figure out how to connect to the external HD (if possible).

Please do let me know if this will be possible. Thanks.

2. hafr macrumors 68030

Is the second router set up as an extension of the wireless network, or as a second wireless network?

3. badman89, Feb 13, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2012

badman89 thread starter macrumors regular

Hi, thanks for your response. I really don't know the answer!

The second router is a netgear router. I just took it out of the box and did a plug and play. I really don't know what I did (beyond following the instructions on the box)! However, I suspect that it is a second wireless network because it has a different name and a different password.

How do I set it up as an extension of the original network? Is this what I need to do?

---

EDIT: Ok, so I found some articles online that explain how to set up a second router as an extension of your existing wireless network. If this is what I need to do, then I'll try it when I get back home and post my results. But do you think the disk sharing will work once I do that?

4. hafr macrumors 68030

You need to set it up as an access point. I've never done it myself, so I'm afraid I can't do any more than to google a guide for you... http://www.speedguide.net/articles/how-to-set-a-wireless-router-as-an-access-point-2556

Hopefully the guide will help you, or you'll be able to find a better guide, or someone else here will be able to help you. Good luck!

Disk sharing should work if I'm not mistaken.