Airport Extreme - Does it support Xbox 360?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by SACD02, Jul 22, 2010.

1. SACD02 macrumors member

Hi everyone

I'm interested in purchasing an Airport Extreme but I'm wondering, does Airport Extreme support Xbox 360?

Thank you

2. kasakka macrumors 68000

It's a router, it doesn't have any clue what you're connecting to it. So yeah, your Xbox will work just fine.

3. Hilmi Hamidi macrumors 6502

Old model of 360 doesn't have Wi-Fi but the new one does.
    Either way, ethernet cable is still a better way to hook up your 360 to your Airport for online gaming.

4. AustinSTI macrumors 6502

I've used both. Both methods work with Airport Xtreme. That being said, I have noticed that my NAT sometimes is open, sometimes is moderate, and other times is strict. I chalk this up more to my ****** ass internet provider though.

5. SACD02 thread starter macrumors member

Well some routers have problem with Xbox 360 because of the restricted NAT or something (I'm not really knowleadgable when it comes to routers) so I want to make sure Airport Extreme has no known incompatibility with Xbox 360

I dont do any online gaming; rather I'll be using my Xbox 360 wirelessly to download content or stream media

6. Zyniker macrumors 6502

As long as the router you purchase supports NAT-PMP or UPnP, you should be fine.

7. SACD02 thread starter macrumors member

Does Airport Extreme support NAT-PMP or UPnP?

8. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

I use my Xbox 360 on my Extreme (Dual band) along with 2 express systems to extend the signal. There are no problems at all, no lag, no NAT problems. Everything is solid. I would recommend you buy the new Wireless N receiver for the Xbox though, much better than the older one.

9. GT-R macrumors member

can the xbox recognize and view content from a hard drive that you connect to the router?

10. Celeron macrumors 6502a

The Xbox 360 doesn't support NAT-PMP, only UPNP.

11. rceee macrumors member

So... What is the answer then? 360 is incompatible with the airport extreme because apple was too dumb/cheap to allow for upnp???

Since switching from dlink to the airport express, now my vizio HDTV streaming apps won't work either... Apparently they need upnp(I hate MS but I must admit upnp makes total sense). Port forwarding is an option I guess (MAYBE) but there is no way to find the lists of ports for all those apps and other non-apple devices on the network... why is this so hard!!!! Why can't the AE just do simple upnp and be done with it???

Looks like I am sending my airport express back... Unbelievable!!!!

12. BreakGuy macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

The AirPort Extreme supports both NAT-PMP and UPnP.

13. rceee macrumors member

Sees not to be the case. Devices working fine via. Upnp on other router simply stop working when the airport extreme is switched in.

How exactly, then, does one enable upnp in the AE? I can find no option in any page in the airport utility.

14. BreakGuy macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

1. In AirPort Utility, choose "Manual Setup".

2. Under the 'Wireless' tab look for the 'radio mode' and select '802.11b/g compatible'

3. Click option button and the up/down arrows next to Wireless security and select 'WPA Personal' (not WPA/WPA2) Ensure your password is 13 characters long.

4. Select 'Update' at bottom right.

5. While waiting for your AirPort Extreme to reboot. Reboot your Xbox. Now wait for your AirPort to fully come back up and then go to networking area in the Xbox and let it find your network...
    It will ask for your password... just type in the password the way you set it in the AirPort Extreme... and away you go.

15. rceee macrumors member

This sounds good but... The Airport Extreme is an "N" router, as is my Xbox360 wireless adapter, as are all of my Apple devices (iPhone 4, iPad 2, newest model Macbook Pro). Can you do the above steps and choose 802.11 n/g instead and it will work the same?

I tried this and my top-of-the-line Vizio 3D HDTV's video streaming apps still don't work... it's like they can't find the UPnP to set what ports they need. The old d-link router works fine, but with the Airport Extreme, it's a no-go. So does this mean that in addition to not supporting the Xbox, the Airport Extreme also does not work with all the HDTVs out there with built-in video streaming apps (Netflix, Amazon video on demand, Hulu, Vudu, etc)?

16. BreakGuy macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

You could set up your AirPort Extreme to show an independent 5GHz network that your devices can connect to.

To do this, enter AirPort Utility and select your AEBS and enter Manual Setup. Under the Wireless tab, select 'Wireless Network Options...', check the box named "5GHz Network Name" and give your 5GHz network a name. Set the other options to your liking and select Done.

Now, you should have two networks. Allow your N compatible devices to connect to the new 5GHz network, and set your Xbox to connect to the original network.

Note: Any b/g only device that connects to the 5GHz network will slow down the entire network to 2.4GHz speeds. A network is only as strong as it's weakest link.

17. rceee macrumors member

But shouldn't the 360 (an "N" wireless adapter) be connecting to the 5GHZ network, since it is more sensitive to latency)? For that matter, shouldn't all the Apple devices, the xbox, and the hdtv all be on 5GHZ?

18. BreakGuy macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

Yes they should. But as with all technology sometimes it just doesn't want to work the way you want or believe it should.

19. rceee macrumors member

Welp... that surely was helpful.

20. BreakGuy macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

Yea sorry. As I'm not an Xbox user I'm not familiar with their configuration and could only offer what solutions I thought may have worked to resolve the issue at hand. Apologies for being insufficient.

21. MitchGtz macrumors newbie

Xbox and Airport Extreme have often reduced me to exasperation

From the posts I see, it looks like the 360 doesn't like the Airport Extreme and/or it's security.

I have an Airport Extreme (I think it is the one prior to the Dual-Band) and have a nightmare when setting it to N only as my wife and daughter can't connect to my network on non-N devices and my Xbox 360 (Slim current model) keep dropping connection.

I set up the Airport to b/g/n compatible, but suffer horrible data rates that keep me from being able to view videos on my iPad 2 without stalling and stopping.

I was thinking about a LinkSys 4200v2 as a replacement, but would I lose the ability to do other things like AirPlay etc?

All polite answers would be greatly appreciated, Rude people need not apply.

Thanks!
    Mitch

22. rceee macrumors member

Amazingly, and sadly, since swapping my dlink for the latest Airport Extreme, I've lost the ability to have Internet on both my Xbox 360 and my(Vizio) HDTV's streaming apps (Netflix, amazon, Hulu,and vudu). The devices connect, but then the softwaree just can't do anything without upnp. How pathetic.

How could Apple make such a piece of junk router? I'm returning mine. Not worth it.

And to the other guy-no, you don't need an Apple router for AirPlay, etc. I do AirPlay just fine with normal routers including my dlink (e.g., ipad2 to my apple tv via AirPlay, etc, etc).

To those of you finding this on google or whatever, avoid the Apple router unless you're ONLY using apple devices. Otherwise, it's totally worthless due to its lack of upnp support (no internet tv support, no Xbox, etc).

23. BreakGuy macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

AirPlay is not AirPort Extreme dependent. With AirPlay, you can wirelessly stream videos, music, and photos from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to Apple TV (2nd generation) and stream music to AirPlay speakers or receivers, using AirPort Express. You can also wirelessly stream videos and music from your computer to Apple TV (2nd generation) and stream music to AirPlay speakers or receivers using AirPort Express.

24. Lennyvalentin macrumors 6502a

Lennyvalentin

You don't need upnp. Just forward the relevant ports to your device(s) manually, it's not terribly difficult.

Microsoft should have a support page detailing which ports they use with xbox live, then use the Airport Utility to set things up. Do the same thing with your HDTV service, and off you go.

UPNP just automatizes this process (with some security and compatibility caveats as usual, since it's a Microsoft protocol...), it would have been more convenient for those who need it if Apple had implemented the feature but it's not the end of the world since its absence doesn't actually prevent you from using your devices.

25. rceee macrumors member

This is a very good point. I didn't explain this well, but, while one can locate the appropriate ports for the Xbox, I've been unable to find similar information for the Vizio HDTV streaming apps. Since I'm guessing this is the case for most HDTV built-in streaming apps, it would seem that AE users are a bit out of luck when it comes to using streaming tv apps. For those, it seems like they are pretty dependent on upnp :/