Airport Extreme doesn't share bandwidth?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by DaSal, May 22, 2008.

1. DaSal macrumors regular

Hey everyone! I just got an Airport Extreme the other day, and I'm mostly stocked about it, the setup was insanely easy and the transfer speeds are pretty good, latency when surfing seems pretty low as well. Plus my Apple TV actually works now, it doesn't keep disconnecting and requiring a reboot every 2 hours.:D

One slight hiccup though, for some reason when it's syncing with the Apple TV it seems to use up ALL the bandwidth for the transfer. I have 12megabits down and thus can easily get 1,5MB/s down from newsgroups, but for some reason when the Apple TV is syncing it drops to about 5-10kb/s and websites become insanely slow to load. When I'm not downloading at the same time websites seem ok, but meh.

Anybody have any idea how to fix this?

It's on Wireless N only btw (2,4ghz) and the airport and the Apple tv are in the same room.

2. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

3. DaSal thread starter macrumors regular

Doesn't work... That's actually when I first noticed it... changed it back to 2.4ghz hoping it would be better but no luck.

It's kind of sucky cause the router is pretty damn solid overall I just don't get why when syncing with the AppleTV it doesn't like manage the loads, it just gives all available bandwidth to the AppleTV and leaves nothing for other stuff... Kind of annoying.

4. Eclipse278 macrumors regular

I've also noticed that my airport extreme (gigabit) can only do one thing at once, which is kind of sad. If I am downloading a file on one computer, none of the others can use the internet until the download is finished or canceled. If I'm transferring files over the network, nothing else works until it's done.

I've just updated to the latest firmware (7.3.1) and its a little better but you can still notice it. Anyone have this problem and come up with a solution?