Airport Extreme doesn't switch back from 2.4 to 5 Ghz

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by syan48306, May 17, 2011.

1. syan48306 macrumors 6502a

syan48306

I recently bought a simultaneous dual band Time Capsule / Airport Extreme and have noticed that the if you have the radio in auto or any setting with both 2.4 and 5ghz antennas supporting N, the router will drop you down from 5ghz to 2.4 as you move away from the router. As long as both antennas have the same SSID. This makes sense as the range of 5ghz with obstructions is worse than 2.4ghz.

However, my issue is once you drop down to 2.4ghz, it will never automatically bump back up to 5ghz, even if you move back and you're just 1 foot away from the router. Operating at 300mbps and 450mbps is a huge difference. If this is the case, what is the point of having two antennas with the same SSID. Isn't the point so that it can swap back and forth as you move in and out of optimal range?

Is it just me or is there something I'm missing.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

No, the point of two antennas is so you can devices that operate on the two different frequencies on the same network. QoS is not the reason for having two antennas.

3. b-rad g macrumors 6502a

b-rad g

No, you're not missing anything, I noticed this myself. Which is why I researched and googled and eventually named the 5GHz with a different SSID so I could only connect to the 5GHz band with my Mini and Air and leave the 2.4GHz for the iPhones, Wireless Printer and Guests.

In my situation, I found that I saw no real world speed increase with the 5GHz over the 2.4GHz. In fact, I came home from work a few times to find the Mini had lost the connection and wasn't connected to the internet, and since the Mini runs our MagicJack for home phone, the phone was also down. So I set everything back to Automatic and everything is running great without a glitch, and speeds are just as good as when the 5 and 2.4 were separate.

4. DaveTheRave macrumors 6502a

I think it is supposed to switch to the strongest, but not sure if it will do it instantly.