Airport Extreme doesn't work with Windows XP on Bootcamp?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Hobbit6003, Jul 22, 2007.

1. Hobbit6003 macrumors member

Hi all,

I've gotten the new Airport Extreme, and it is working fine with all my Macs (intel or PPC G4), until I switched to Windows XP on bootcamp on my Intel iMac.

In Windows, I could see the base station but the signal strength was at about 3 bars, and when I tried to connect, it told me that they couldn't detect the network.

All these while, I had my other Macs switched off in my home. Running Tiger on the same Mac yielded full signal strength and connection is not a problem.

Can anyone tell me what went wrong? Seriously, I've been a Mac user for the past 18 yrs and I hardly touched a Windows machine, so I haven't really got a clue what's going on....

2. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

i had this same problem for ages aswell... it has to do with something about the apple way of doing it, not sure exactly. easy to fix.

u need the hex code of the password.
    1.open airport admin
    2.configure the bassstation that u want to get the hex password from
    3. navigate to the menu bar "Base Station" then "Equivilant Network Password"

it should give out a 40-bit or 128-bit password.... save that and put that in as the password in windows.

should be sweet!

3. Hobbit6003 thread starter macrumors member

Hi,

Thanks for your reply! Pardon my ignorance, but where in Windows do i exactly need to input the passwords?

4. Hobbit6003 thread starter macrumors member

Alright, finally found what was wrong with my Airport Extreme connection with Windows XP.

I was using WPA2 as my wireless security, which without a patch in Windows XP, it wouldn't work.

I then switch it to WPA, and it worked. I then downloaded the patch from Microsoft and reverted to WPA2 thereafter.

5. hammondc macrumors newbie

THANKS!!!! Good to know