Airport Extreme Download Rate

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by CylonGlitch, Aug 4, 2009.

1. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

Up until recently I was not having a problem with my download rate, I was getting constantly 5 Mb/s down (I'm feeding the Airport Extreme from Cox at about 10Mb/s). But recently my Cox connection has been boosted to 25Mb/s download and I'm still only getting 5Mb/s down. :(

I went through and debugged everything and it seems to be the Airport Extreme (I have the older 10/100 version). If I am connected directly to the modem I can get 20 to 25Mb/s down, but if I go through the Airport (directly wired, not wireless) I only get 5Mb/s.

I have read that this seems to be the maximum that the Airport can supply. Can anyone confirm this? Anyone else have this problem?

I'm more then willing to buy another Airport with the GigE switch (might be worth it anyway because I have GigE everywhere in the house). But I don't want to have the same problem occur.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

2. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Apple's Airport Extremes and Expresses can't reach the theoretical maximum they are rated.

Also there is a HUGE difference between Mb (megabit) and MB (megabyte). Please don't get these confused.

3. CylonGlitch thread starter macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

Just went to the Apple store, told the woman there what was going on and before I finished the story she said I needed a new router. The older Extreme's can't handle more then 5 Mb/s (around).

So, I'm out $200, but hopefully this fixes my problem.

4. rkdiddy macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

keep us posted on how it goes - i would be interested to see the difference it makes.

i'm sure dual band will just be the icing on the cake. :D

5. CylonGlitch thread starter macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

I took it home, plugged it in and set up a completely open network, no security of any type at all. I didn't have time to do it right.

I ran speedtest.net and got 24.5Mb/s.

YEAH! That's what I'm talking about!!!

:D

I guess they upgraded the processor speed at some point, really upgraded it.