Airport Extreme ...draft!?

jota73

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 19, 2006
South America
I am about to change my Linksys WRTG54 with speedbooster for the Airport Extreme.
The reason of this change: I need to extend the range of my network, tried using the airport express so that it do WDS but Linksys does not support this.

But as I was reading, the standard 802.1n is a draft version, should I wait to see the final version so that it becomes a standard IEEE?

What about Gigabit Ethernet support, according to what I read in the reviews (CNET) it argues that for the price it should support this...

any help?

thanks

Mindflux

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2007
Austin
All n-routers are draft. Hopefully it'll be a simple firmware update on the hardware once it's standardized.

Comment

Jestered

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2005
Austin, Texas
I am about to change my Linksys WRTG54 with speedbooster for the Airport Extreme.
The reason of this change: I need to extend the range of my network, tried using the airport express so that it do WDS but Linksys does not support this.

But as I was reading, the standard 802.1n is a draft version, should I wait to see the final version so that it becomes a standard IEEE?

What about Gigabit Ethernet support, according to what I read in the reviews (CNET) it argues that for the price it should support this...

any help?

thanks
The latest Airport Extreme does support Gigabit Ethernet. You must have read an old review on an old model.

Comment

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon

any help?

thanks
As said above, everything that you can buy is draft and most manufacturers should follow through with a firmware upgrade.

As for Gigabit support, just because it connects to a Gigabit network does not mean the AE performs at Gigabit speeds - and I'm assuming here that you mention it for the disk functionality - far from it. Just like many of the cheaper NASs, the AE lurks at the bottom of the pack as far as network disk throughput goes.

Comment

Matiek

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2007
Are there other routers out there that would be recommended over the airport extreme?

Comment

jota73

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 19, 2006
South America
ok, information has been useful, yet my question has not been answered... Do you recommend me going through this change (Linksys vs AE)?

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.