Airport Extreme ...draft!?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jota73, Oct 30, 2007.

1. jota73 macrumors 6502

jota73

I am about to change my Linksys WRTG54 with speedbooster for the Airport Extreme.
    The reason of this change: I need to extend the range of my network, tried using the airport express so that it do WDS but Linksys does not support this.

But as I was reading, the standard 802.1n is a draft version, should I wait to see the final version so that it becomes a standard IEEE?

What about Gigabit Ethernet support, according to what I read in the reviews (CNET) it argues that for the price it should support this...

any help?

thanks

2. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

All n-routers are draft. Hopefully it'll be a simple firmware update on the hardware once it's standardized.

3. jota73 thread starter macrumors 6502

jota73

4. Jestered macrumors 6502

The latest Airport Extreme does support Gigabit Ethernet. You must have read an old review on an old model.

5. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

As said above, everything that you can buy is draft and most manufacturers should follow through with a firmware upgrade.

As for Gigabit support, just because it connects to a Gigabit network does not mean the AE performs at Gigabit speeds - and I'm assuming here that you mention it for the disk functionality - far from it. Just like many of the cheaper NASs, the AE lurks at the bottom of the pack as far as network disk throughput goes.

6. Matiek macrumors member

Are there other routers out there that would be recommended over the airport extreme?

7. jota73 thread starter macrumors 6502

jota73

ok, information has been useful, yet my question has not been answered... Do you recommend me going through this change (Linksys vs AE)?