Airport Extreme dropping signal

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by gusanitoverde, Jul 16, 2008.

1. gusanitoverde macrumors 6502

gusanitoverde

I have an "n"Airport Extreme and it is dropping signal intermittently. It goes away for about 15 minutes to 1/2 hour. It does it almost every night. Sometimes when the signal is not dropping, the strength of the signal is ridiculously low.

I have two mac laptops, one is "n" technology enabled, one is not and I have an iPhone.

All show how the Airport drops the signal or the weakness of it.

I thought it was my ISP, but I bypassed the Airport by connecting to the DSL modem and internet worked just fine. I plugged back the Airport and signal would be lost again.

Any Ideas? I am going "n"uts. :(

2. InLikeALion macrumors 6502a

Wrong forum for this. Moved to correct forum.

3. Fuzzbear macrumors regular

Fuzzbear

Mine was getting interference from my sisters cordless phone upstairs. I didnt realize it at first, but every time she got a call, every wireless device in the house would lose connection. Took a while to figure it out.

I had to go into the setup of the router and click a signal robustness option to enabled, and swap channels.

4. gusanitoverde thread starter macrumors 6502

gusanitoverde

How interesting...

I could try changing channels. I have cellphones, and the only cordless phone is connected, but not in use...I'll still check it out.
    Thanks!

5. MacGeek7 macrumors 6502a

MacGeek7

That's really interesting...I would not have thought of that

6. operator207 macrumors 6502

Microwave ovens, especially poorly or unshielded (yes, it happens) ones can cause this. Florescent ballasts can do this. Your AC in your house can do this. ANYTHING that can mess with the 2.4ghz range, which is a lot of things, can mess with this. It just happens that anything I mentioned above does not care if there is noise in that range.

If your cordless phone is "broad spectrum" or "channel hops" it can hit the channel your AE is running on.

What channel are you on? Try getting a wireless sniffer (kismac is one, istumbler is another) See what else is on your channel, move at least 3 channels away from any other used channel.

Channel 4 uses channel 3 and channel 5 so if something is using any of those channels, you need to move to 7 (6 would also use 5). do that math with any AP's you see in the wireless sniffer program, and move 3 away from any other used channel. That will give you something to start with.