Airport extreme drops out on imac, but not on powerbook....

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by danielcolombi, Oct 5, 2008.

1. danielcolombi macrumors newbie

Hi

Here's what i have running.
    A 4 year old powerbook which always connects just fine to the internet, with no dropping of the signal.

A new imac with a airport extreme built in. It regularly just drops the internet connection, even though the internet is seen perfectly by the other maching.

Router is a standard netgear router virgin media provide.

Periodically, and some days it will be totally fine, but mostly on the weekends (like now) the signal on the imac just drops out (from perfect 4 bars, to none) and i lose access to the internet on this machine (very annoying when you are trying to talk to someone on skype!). after some time it reappears, only to drop out again.

I have reset the modem to automatically select a wireless channel, but that seems to have done nothing. So following the advise on other chats here, i set the channel to 10. However the problem remains. I thought, well, maybe its the wireless phone, or the microwave, but these do not seem to affect the internet connection to the powerbook g4. The software updater for the "airport utility" claims it is up to date.

And now i am totally lost as to what to do! Any sugestions?

2. jzakariasen macrumors newbie

I too am fed up.

I have had a similar problem with both a brand new MacPro and a new MacBookPro. I even went so far as to buy a new router, ... a Mac Time Capsule no less, and guess what. The problem is still there. All my PC desktops and notebooks work just fine so I am confident that the problem is either the AirPort card or the operating system. I tried all the recommended fixes listed in these forums and the only thing that seems to have offered some improvement is switching from WPA to WEP encryption. It should be noted though that even on WEP, the problem still occurs, though much less frequently.

Does any know if Apple has even acknowledged that there is a problem? I'm pretty angry about this given that in the last year I have spent about $12,000 buying Apple's supposedly superior technology. Maybe Bill Gates needs to come out with his own version of a "Hi I am an Apple" and "I am a PC" advertising campaign. I can see it now, "Gee Apple what's that long wire trailing behind you?" ... "Well PC because of my Leopard operating system the only way I can get a reliable connection to the internet is with a hardwire ethernet cable." "Oh well Apple at least you can stay in and enjoy a good Blu-ray movie."... "Well actually PC, my boss feels that Blu-ray is just too new to venture into, those licensing agreements are way too complicated and costly." ....

3. Word Warrior macrumors member

It's not the modem

I too get intermittent lost connections with my iMac connected by ethernet to a Netgear 834n. Everything disappears OS X diagnostics says restart the modem but the modem is working fine with two iphones via WiFi and a G4 Powerbook on WiFi. Have tried the iMac using WiFi and the problem still occurs so it is my belief it is to do with the iMac.

The only solution however to get it to work is to unplug the modem, go for a coffee, come back replug the modem and all is fine again until the next time.
    I have done a 'reconfigure' and so far today it has been fine but it's too early to tell for sure.

Does anyone have a solution.

4. James Cole macrumors 6502

It could be the location of the imac... could you move it around just a bit?

5. Word Warrior macrumors member

Can't see how that could make a difference when I'm hooked up via ethernet unless I was being swamped by other RF stuff. Can you explain?

6. capt777 macrumors newbie

My signal dropping problem is solved

I had the same problem for weeks, unable to have a skype chat, or watch youtube due to signal dropping while using my new Airport Extreme!

I tried it all before my local ISP tech support suggested that I have a software problem in my computer, after few steps, we fixed it.

I had a PVN software installed on my computer, I uninstalled it and all became normal.
    No more yellow flashing light every few minutes, and the streaming videos are viewed without interruption.

My advice is to uninstall any software of that kind, maybe your problem will be solved also.