Airport extreme dual band

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by kjmff5, May 8, 2011.

1. kjmff5 macrumors regular

I have the dual band(2.4 and 5GHz) Aebs. My question is that if my wireless printer is on the 2.4 band because it uses G and all my computers use the 5 band because they use N, will I be able to print wirelessly or will it act like separate networks? I would just try it but I don't want to mess up what is already set up(using only 2.4, working)

Thanks if advance!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, you'll be able to print. It won't act like separate networks, just two speeds on the same network.

3. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

you will be able to print just fine. also your computers won't necessarily be using the 5ghz band, most likely they are actually using the 2.4ghz band

4. kjmff5 thread starter macrumors regular

Hm is there a way to force devices to use a certain band? Obviously I want to force my computers(Windows 7) and Apple(OSX 10.6 and iOS) products to use the 5GHz. Is this a setting within the router or computer? Or am I totally making that up?

5. jenzjen macrumors 68000

You can name the 2 networks different names so your devices will only join the network you want.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The OP doesn't want 2 networks. They want devices to operate at 2 different speeds on the same network.

7. hitekalex macrumors 68000

hitekalex

Giving 2.4 and 5Ghz bands different SSIDs does not make them different networks. So, the above advice is absolutely correct - if one wants to manually control the band individual devices connect to, assigning different SSIDs is the way to go.

OP - as an FYI, forcing devices on 5Ghz band isn't necessarily "better" or "faster". My advice - just letting your devices connect to whichever band offers better signal. This is what would happen automatically if you just leave the same SSID on both bands.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's not joining different networks, as the person I quoted was suggesting:

9. jenzjen, May 8, 2011
    Last edited: May 9, 2011

jenzjen macrumors 68000

Golf claps all around GG. Not only did you complicate the thread after we resolved OPs secondary issue, you failed in trying.

Everyone but you understood my post.

Please tell me what the Apple utility says when you go through setup. Does it ask for name of each band or the name of each network?