Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nidserz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 28, 2008
Dubai x Toronto
Hi everyone,

Well I have invested in an Airport Extreme and Express (both current -n).
I am having some trouble with my set up as the internet is extremely slow across the house wirelessly.

Prior to switching to Mac I have had linksys and d-link routers. Only 1 controlling the whole house giving off great wireless speeds. After switching to the iMac and getting an Airport Express (AE) I invested in the Airport Extreme (AEx).

My current set up is as follows:
Basement --> ISP --> AEx --> PC Desktop (ethernet)
--> AEx --> PS3 (wireless)
Main Floor --> PC Laptop (wireless)
--> PC/Apple Laptops (wireless) when people come over
Top Floor --> AE --> iMac (wireless)
--> AE --> PC Laptop (wireless)/iPod Touch or iPhone

So basically I have the AEx wired to my PC dekstop. The AE is located on the top floor to help "boost" the signal and increase speeds for my iMac and various other laptops that may connect to the internet.

I don't know why but my internet has been sucking these days and I have upgraded to the highest cable available in Canada - 10mbps! Maybe I have set up my AE wrong?
At first I set it to "extend a wireless".
I have no changed it to "join a wireless network". And checked of "Allow ethernet connections". I hope to use an ethernet connection for my iMac.
However I have been getting slow speeds on the main floor with the wireless networks.

Any suggestions on how I should set it up or what settings in particular I should be looking at?

Thankss

knockknock

macrumors member
May 28, 2003
at home
Have you tried unpluggin everything off? I had a similar problem; and when everything got unplugged for 30 secs. and plugged back it worked. here' how I did it:
1-modem until it boots
2-router " " "
3- computers and periferals.

Good luck:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.