Airport Extreme, Express and Xbox 360

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by PhightinPhils26, Aug 25, 2008.

1. PhightinPhils26 macrumors 6502a

PhightinPhils26

I have been searching around the forum for this answer and I haven't found anything specific. Here is my network setup.

Bedroom:
    Modem --ethernet-- Airport Extreme --ethernet-- iMac

Living Room:
    Airport Express (Wirelessly Connected to Airport Extreme) currently setup for AirTunes using a bridged connection.

What I want to know are the specifics of running an ethernet cable from my XBOX 360 to the Airport EXPRESS and using that as my internet hook up to get on Xbox Live.

Is something like this possible?

2. gibbz macrumors 68030

Well, I have something perhaps similar. I just have a modem-->ethernet-->router then I have my MBP connected via AirPort. I then have MBP-->ethernet-->XBOX 360.

Here is what I had to do:
    *Start Internet Sharing
    *Edit /etc/bootpd.plist as root: change reply_threshold_seconds to 0
    *Reboot. Yes, you really do have to reboot. Don't start/stop Internet Sharing before rebooting because it will revert your change on you.

Then XBOX 360 connects fine. This is a little quicker than some methods where they set a static connection via XBOX 360 console. If you are interested, that method is here.

3. akchang macrumors newbie

Yes you can run an ethernet cable to the Airport Express. I have mine set to "Join a Wireless Network" and have "Allow Wired Clients". However,I have a switch connected to the Airport Express because I have a SlingBox and a PS3 (yeah I can use wifi for PS3 but the switch was already there). On the Airport Extreme make sure you have the "Allow this network to be extended" turned on.

Now I've had some other issues with my TC and Airport Express, but this setup worked.

4. PhightinPhils26 thread starter macrumors 6502a

PhightinPhils26

This was the thing I missed... Thanks for your help!

5. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

So this does in fact work? I rearranged my living room, and now I no longer have a wired connection for my 360. If I get a Airport Extreme, I can run an ethernet cable from it to the 360, and be good?

My home office is: Cable Modem -> Wireless G router ->wired ethernet to MacPro.

My living room would be: Airport Express -> wired ethernet into 360.

You guys are saying this would work?

My PS3 has WiFi, why couldn't MS just include it? :rolleyes:

6. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Yes it will work, I do something similar to connect my PS2 and TiVo. However, you may be able to get away with the M$ Wi-Fi Adapter which is $30.

tEG

7. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

I have everything hooked up, and AirTunes is working flawlessly.

However, the Connection Sharing option is greyed out. How can I get it so I can set it up to share?

8. MacBass macrumors 6502

MacBass

They were too busy trying to get the already-doomed HD DVD to work with the 360. :p

9. aaron5857 macrumors newbie

Extreme- wirelessly to Express - ethernet to 360.

If what you want to do is wirelessly extend your network, say, to your basement with the Airport Express and then connect Ethernet to your Xbox, be assured this works just fine.
    BUT ITS A PAIN IN THE ASS (at first)

I know just about nothing about networks so hooking these things up has to be simple for me, or Im screwed. This is my story:

-Open Airport Express, plug into wall in basement watch it fire up and flash orange (cant connect to wireless network).
    -Go upstairs and find that Airport Utility does not see my Express. Go back down bring it up stairs.
    -Plug it into wall in computer room, still no connection.
    -Plug ethernet cable from Airport Extreme to Airport Express. FOUND!!

So here is where the story is hard to explain. Make it easy on yourself and plug the Express directly into the extreme via ethernet. Modify all the settings, wireless network name/password etc. You should be able to (at least I was) disconnect the cable and still have it connected (wirelessly).

Make sure you have it set to connect wirelessly, and to 'Extend network'

after that you have to go to your airport extreme (in Airport Utility) and click the box that says 'allow network to be extended' a no - brainer once you see the box, but if you dont know its there... add frustration.

To save yourself the exercise do as much as you can in the same room. When you have the Express set to 'Extend network' and you are able to unplug it from the wall and all cables and plug it back in and get the green light you know you are close.

Now I am able to sign into xbox live, AND (the main reason I wanted this) stream movies from my iMac upstairs through my network and through the xbox 360 so that Im watching movies on my comp on my projector. (download connect 360 for this, if you want movies from comp)

Hope this helps. It wasnt easy for me at all, but once it was all done it seemed fairly simple. GL!