Airport Extreme/Express Interface Questions/N Router Decision

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by wordy, May 28, 2008.

1. wordy macrumors regular

wordy

Hi.

I currently have a Linksys G router running modded firmware (DD-WRT). I like having lots of control over port forwards as well as access restrictions, etc.

I want to have wireless N capability. Either through buying a new AE/other N router, or uplinking my current G router to an Airport Express (IS THIS POSSIBLE??). AirTunes functionality would be a definite plus!

Does the AExpress/Extreme interface provide pretty advanced controls or is it built for simplicity?

Final question. If I were to buy the Extreme and uplink from my current G router (so I can keep using firmware I love) would I still be able to use the Extreme as a USB print server and/or (with hub) attach a USB hard drive?

Thanks in advance

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

I already do that.

I have a linksys running dd-wrt that is connected to my cable modem. and has a B/G network.

I then have an express-N in the other room, hard wired into the network (back to the linksys). My linksys still handles assigning IPs. So even on the N network, my laptop is just like being hardwired to the linksys. I also use this for airtunes. I have used this for printing at one time.

i also have an older express-G that connects wirelessly to the linksys. I use this one as a print server, and for airtunes.

i just use a different SSID for each network.
    the express-N is set up for N only.
    That way i can have a dedicated N network for the laptop, plus a B/G for the iPhone.
    I can also easily access stuff on the B/G wireless from the N.

You should be able to use any features of the extreme/express with it being a secondary wireless access point. You just have to make sure you set up the connection sharing to "off (bridge mode)" on the internet options page in airport utility to have the N be a seamless extension of the existing network.

3. wordy thread starter macrumors regular

wordy

I did exactly as you said and went with the Express. For the price of the extreme, I know I can get a really nice linksys N router with a USB port down the road.

This was my first experience with AirTunes and it really is great!

4. waw74 macrumors 68030

It is nice, plus i can have music whole house, and didn't have to run extra cables. And it's all in sync.

got a mini in the living room hooked to the stereo (had this before the :apple:TV came out)
    and an express in the kitchen and bedroom.

Using Remote Buddy I can control the whole thing from the Phone over the network.