Airport Extreme, Express on a FIOS network

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by johnstac, Apr 21, 2013.

1. johnstac macrumors newbie

I have an Actiontec router from Verizon using FIOS. I have been waning through information all day but cannot resove an issue relating to the Airport Express (AEXP)

I turned off the wireless signal from the FIOS router and am using the Airport Extreme (AEXT) for the wireless signal while still using the actiontec for DHCP. It works fine until I try and add the AEXP and select it in the Airport Utility, something happens and the EXTR stops working also. Once I disconnect the AEXP I can get the AEXT to work again. I had read that it had something to do with the Action tec router and security but even after changing it to WPA (which I hate) instead of WPA2, it didn't help.

I am simply trying to extend the range with the APXP but can't get it working. If someone has successfully done this, please advise. Seems like this issue goes back all the way to 2008 and so I can't believe that there is still now workaround for this.

2. drsox macrumors 65816

drsox

Try using the Actiontec only as a modem, i.e. disable everything except the Internet connection. Use the first AE for DHCP with WPA2 WiFi. See if the second AE can connect to the the first over a LAN (put the second in bridge mode). Then disconnect the LAN and try setting the second AE to extend the WiFi of the first. I don't have an Actiontec but with a normal modem (Draytek) all my AEs work fine.

3. johnstac thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply. I have little experience with network configuration so when you advised disabling everything except internet and having the AE do the DHCP, etc, I am clueless on how to do that. I did see in some posting that there are two ways to use the AE with FIOS. The first is minimal and still uses FIOS to handle the routing. I did read the other method which they describe as a more complete solution but I got pretty lost while reading it.

So it sounds as though if I want to hook up the express, I may not be able to use the simple method?

4. drsox, Apr 21, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2013

drsox macrumors 65816

drsox

If you post links to the items you saw, I'll have a read through them to see if there is any info to help.

PS I saw some good info about this just now.
    First question - do you want to use the Video On Demand features of FIOS ? If not, then there is an easy way to solve this.