Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joshwest

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 27, 2005
I know this has been asked before and i searched and couldnt find my answer. Q is.. my company has a two story building that is non wireless and wanted to make them wireless but keep only one wireless network up. I was thinking of getting two Airport Extreme's but turn one into a repeater of the up stairs network can this be done.. And do you just set the one downstairs as extended range?

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
You can use an Airport Express as a repeater for an Airport Extreme.

You should also be able to use an AEBS as a range extender / repeater for an AEBS. Although Nick's option is cheaper, for a business setting, it's probably worth it to just get two AEBS's. The configuration is pretty straightforward. The pictures here show the old AEBS, but the idea is much the same....

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107454

(P.S. to get better search results, look for the term "WDS" or possibly "range extender," rather than "repeater" -- WDS is the specific technology the AEBS uses and so Apple usually uses this term in any articles on the topic.)

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
For a better/faster service, wire them together. Sounds like you already have a wired network in place so that should be easy.
if you set them both up exactly the same (SSID and security) but have different channels, you wireless devices will automatically switch between them as they enter the different areas. It's a seamless and transparent transition to the user.
You could even add a third unit (or more), if there are more people on the ground floor, just put another base on the other side of the building. Just make sure everything is on a different channel.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.