Airport Extreme & ext. HardDisk

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jbrown, Nov 10, 2007.

1. jbrown macrumors 6502a

jbrown

I have a MBP 2.4.

New to this......can I run my USB2 160 gig HHD over my airport network.
    It,s a USB powered disk.

If so how? And how do you configure it? As a side question,will Time Machine work?

cheers all

2. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

Hello!

If you plug in the USB plug from your HD into the back of the airport extreme base station, it should work. Once plugged in, go to spotlight and type in "airport utility" and open that application up. Go to disks, and it should help you set it up very easily.

I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) that time machine does not support syncing over airport. And if it did, it would be pretty slow compared to USB or FireWire. But supposedly, apple is working on giving you that ability.

Good luck! please post back with any problems you encounter and we'll do out best to help.

3. jbrown thread starter macrumors 6502a

jbrown

Hi,
    Thanks for that - went through what you suggested - plugged in USB 2 drive ( bear in mind it doesn't have it's own power supply ) - it's lights lit up fine.

Then opened Airport Utility, then manual set up - then Settings in menu bar - but the 'Disk' in the dropdown menu is greyed out, so am stuck there....any thoughts?

cheers

4. 2fives macrumors regular

You may have to reboot the router. As of right now the USB drives and airport ex work like crap. Can't re detect the drive on computer wake so you may have to reboot your computer and airport alot. :mad::mad::mad:

5. Cliff3 macrumors 68000

Cliff3

That's a Leopard problem and one of the reasons (Lightroom being the other) why I reverted to Tiger after a few days on Leopard. Tiger has no problems whatsoever detecting airport disks.

6. macleod199 macrumors 6502

I finally managed to trick Time Machine into backing up to my Airport Disk. However, it doesn't 'work' in the sense that if you activate Time Machine to browse through older versions, it doesn't see them. Presumably they'll fix this at some point.