Airport Extreme + Ext HD connected via Ethernet?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Chic0, Apr 22, 2008.

1. Chic0 macrumors 6502

Hey

Currently I use an AE+ext HD via USB. I store my itunes music and movies on this Airport drive.

Recently my HD has been playing up and I am now thinking of replacing it with a bigger and better one.

I was just going to get another USB drive, but then I stumbled upon these lacie Network drives that can be connected via Ethernet.

http://www.lacie.com/uk/products/product.htm?pid=10843

Will I be able to connect these via Ehternet with AE and be able to access my files from it?

Will I be able to store my itunes library on it?

At moment I use 802.11g at home. If I opted for this ethernet options for ext HD, would I see faster transfer speeds as compared with USB2?

Any info would be really helpful.

Thanks

2. heppy macrumors member

looks pretty good but you'll see exactly the same transfer speeds as usb2 if you're only connecting with 802.11g

3. Chic0 thread starter macrumors 6502

ok, if this is the case, when I eventually upgrade my powerbook to MBP with 802.11n, will I see a difference in transfer speed between Gigabit ethernet and USB2?

4. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

i think you are asking the same thing i did, i connected my hd to my airport extreme and i can access the info (music) from my imac connected via ethernet. I found the hd on the network section of the finder if that helps.

ChrisN

5. Chic0 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah thats exactly what wanted to know. Cheers!

What is the transfer speed like? I find HD connected via USB2 to AE painfully slow over 802.11g? Is it any better over ethernet?