Airport extreme + external HD = problems on windows

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Kristalghost, Nov 30, 2009.

1. Kristalghost macrumors member

hi I just bought the new airport extreme and I've been trying to make it work for over 2 days now.
    after allot of trouble I finally got the internet,printer and hd's working but there's one problem.
    I made all my external hd's HFS+ format because airport won't share nfts and put all my files on it.(took almost a day)
    so now the data is shared on the HFS+ disk and on my mac I don't a problem.
    I can acces read right at my hearts delight but my mac is the only mac in the house so it also has to work on windows computers.
    I installed macdrive 8 so they can read and write the hd and I used it for transferring the files from one hd to the other.

the problem now is that when my hd is shared I can read but I can't write.
    I've tried plugging the hd's in and changing the permissions but its still the same problem.
    is there any way of solving this? I'm new to mac's and the airport dind't have any settings that could solve it.

any decent input is welcome.

2. Kristalghost thread starter macrumors member

comon anybody? I really need to get this to work

3. Frosties macrumors 6502a

Frosties

Try upgrading your firmware for the router. If that does not work then format the drive in fat or keep hfs+ and throw away the stupid macdrive program. I would think this is the programs fault. Why would you need that anyway? Install safari with bonjour on pc and you should be able to see the disk with regular formats without macdrive whatever. Last you can read the manual and help on Apple's website or the one included with your router for decent input.

4. Kristalghost thread starter macrumors member

its firmware is 2.5 witch I cant even find on the mac site.
    I found the problem, its only my windows 7 pc that can't write on the hd.
    how do you use safari and bonjour to get on the hd?
    maybe I can write on my hd that way.

thanks for the answer btw
    kristalghost