AirPort Extreme & external or NAS (which one) for Personal Cloud??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Frznrth, Nov 15, 2016.

1. Frznrth macrumors member

Hi
    I have an old iMac that is FULL of photos and home movies. I want to move these to something I can access with a likely soon to be purchased iPad Pro.

Would it be better to use an Airport Express with an external drive(s) hooked to it or get a non apple NAS?
    I don't have either.

I want whatever I use to be as reliable as possible without spending too much - $200-$400 Canadian if possible. Easy to use would definitely be a plus too.

I just purchased a Time Capsule but am hearing it will be slow to send pics/video - guess I'll use it just for backup. I also have a couple of new 1 TB external drives I could use if helpful. I am looking to store about 1/2 a TB.

If a non apple NAS is the best choice any specific recommendations?

Thanks much for the help.

2. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

Go to smallnetbuilder site. They will give you lists of 2, 4,5,6 on up drive NAS units along with tests on them. Since you are going with a 2 drive, you could choose to get a 2 drive or possibly a 4 drive and get more drives later if inclined. Synology and QNAP are known names in the business but don't discount a few other 2 drive makers that do make excellent products.

3. Frznrth thread starter macrumors member